Monday, July 31, 2023

MOTHER WITH A FISHBOWL

Making changes to this piece has been stressful each time it is put on my frame.  Over the course of a few days I worked on it little by little.  But could only stand a few minutes each time.  If you want to see the some of the transition, you can view the previous update HERE

These are a few changes made ~ shifted some wool on the nose to reduce the ski nose; changed the brow, used ONE (1) dark brown thread from a strip of wool for the eyelash line, changed to a lighter value strip in the fingers, along the hair line, and shadow line in the ear to a lighter value.  

Today I had to put her aside and may or may not pull her out to change the value of wool under her chin.  But have until September before Cape May to decide.  I have thought about just why it stresses me and here are the reasons:
 * mostly because it is a very personal portrait to me
 * pulling apart pieces of my mother albeit for improvement
 * working with a fine cut which I hate but required to achieve a portrait 
 * and fear of making the mat worse with the tweaks              

That said, here is an update on my Mother's portrait as of 7/30/2023.  
If Mother goes to Cape May with me this year she just may go go to camp as is.  Time will tell.  Again, here is a view of the photo I went by.
My attempt at getting Mother perfect like the photo didn't happen and can still see things I should change, but will I?

Tomorrow will be August and can't believe we are more than halfway thru the year of 2023.

Saundra




9 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. It really does. I thought what you said about, " pulling apart pieces of your mother albeit for improvement" Says so much about why its so hard.
    It would be for me too. I am shocked that August is tomorrow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks fantastic... Your mother looks happier and I think your tweaks has improved her real beauty. You did a great job. I wouldn't hesitate to bring her art Cape May just as she is.

    It feels like July went by at lightning speed and I can't believe it's August tomorrow.
    Bye bye July.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your little tweaks have made a softer look .....I wouldn't be brave enough to attempt this kind of project ! Very challenging , but you did an amazing job at capturing your two dogs and that had to be tough as well !
    UGH ....August 1 st tomorrow ...I am into a new decade tomorrow and not happy about it ....time is going by way too fast !!! At least it will be another nice refeshing sunny day ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again I like it and hopefully you will be pleased with it now. Cannot believe August starts tomorrow. Days are getting shorter now too. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, ok. Leave mom alone. She looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question from a non-hooking reader - is it possible to hook that same darker shade in even thinner strips (I know EEEK!) in a stippled(?) pattern into what's already done? Just enough to break up that solid shadow line on her jaw... NOT suggesting you do that, it's idle curiosity on my part if it could be done without ripping anything out.

    The eye and nose are very much improved! Getting those along with the mouth were the most important parts, IMHO. The rug does look like your Mom as is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that you did a very real good work. In my personal opinión you dont need to change nothing more. It is a very beautiful work. And very similar to the original photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe 💕 The rug will never be as perfect as the original - I mean that as a compliment not as an insult. I think you've done a remarkable job despite whatever inaccuracies you find. That rug is an extraordinary challenge! Superbly done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tweaking really improved things...that being said, I think you've tweaked enough. She is beautiful. As I said previously, she will never be the perfect rendition your mind and heart wishes for, but she is pretty dang close. You're too close. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.