Tuesday, July 25, 2023

MIGHT BE A 'NO SHOW'

I've been unhappy with my attempt to hook my Mother and Fishbowl properly.  Since Cape May camp is just a little over 6 weeks away decided to tackle tweaking it a little more.  Frankly I'm surprised there are any linen threads left at the eye area as many times as it has been tweaked.

June 2022 this is what my dear mother's portrait looked like and I wasn't happy with the eye then.
So a couple days ago decided to tweak it and just made matters worse.  In this photo the mat is still on the frame and at a closer distance.  And I made the eye worse for sure, looks like it is popping out.
Today I did another attempt at the eye and even changed the brow color.
Here is the original photo I loved to look at as a kid and as an adult.  Then when the hooking habit happened decided I wanted to try and capture her with wool.
Am still not pleased because mother didn't have a ski nose, her lips, eye and brow still don't look like her.  I can see the arch of the brow needs to be lowered and perhaps a hint of a darker value from that to the iris.  While I can see what needs to be done I am not able to execute those changes.  Hey, I'm not McGowan trained y'all , lol.

So sometime between now and Cape May I'll try another tweak because unless I'm proud to show this work my dear mother won't be making it to Cape May with me.  





10 comments:

  1. Oh I do hope you take it with you. I think your third time is a charm. That is why I don't hook from photographs. I do like that picture of your Mom. I can see why its one of your favorites. But I would never in a million years try and hook my mom. Just because what I see in my mind's eye is more than the photograph. You wanted to hook in in Sepia tones and you accomplished it. I know it tested you in deep ways, but as me as the peanut gallery, I think you did a wonderful job and I would be proud of it. I bet its incredible in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I've not ever tried to realistically hook, well anything. Looks difficult. I wish you the best of luck. Even in my primitive hooking I have a lot of problems hooking eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see where you’re concerns lye yet I think you’ve done an amazing job especially considering the personal connection to the subject and the difficulty of some of the details like the fishbowl and curtains. I hope you get it to your pleasing ๐Ÿ˜.
    This thing is telling me I’m in anonymous mode ๐Ÿ™„. Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still in awe that such a primitive hooker would even attempt a piece such as this. Eye #3 looks fine. Change the nose and you may be surprised at how you feel about the rug. Of course you are your own worst critic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sissy in all regards. Because your mother and that photo are treasures of your heart, it will be unlikely you will ever get the perfect rendition your mind's eye sees. Try giving her a wee bit of a nose job...and perhaps (I hesitate to even suggest this as I've never ever hooked anything like a realistic face) maybe shorten the narrow end of her brow and lengthening the wider end so it goes more toward the nose bridge? That what I see in the eye area... You might be surprised to learn that your dissatisfaction isn't really with the eye at all. Mamma needs to go to Cape May with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never attempted realistic hooking,,,
    Not my comfort,,,
    Did a santa face once,, scary! Tore it out and left it blank,,,,
    Yours looks pretty amazing ,,,,
    I would take it,,,
    Too hot today, ,, yikes!
    Elaine๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a nice job with that wide primitive cut and in Sepia colors that I hesitate to even offer what I would attempt at changing since I hook in narrow cut.

    If it was my rug, maybe I would attempt to remove a fews stitches at the tip of the nose to lessen the length.
    I would try to flatten her forehead a little by removing just a little bit of flesh color. (Easier said than done) That might lessen the optical of a ski nose as you call it. The eye could be defined by using a darker color for the eye lashes right at the top of the white of the eye. Again, I hate to give you my opinion on how I would try to change it but I would suggest that you bring it to Camp May and ask for another opinion before changing anything. I hope that you can fix it to your satisfaction because it's an amazing piece of art and because it's your dear beautiful mother.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should take it with you to rug camp ....you certainly challenged youself and I think did a great job . I like the eye much better , and maybe tweaking her nose will help too . Your colors are perfect .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I can draw, but I hate drawing portraits because I am a perfectionist, so I understand your frustrations with this. I do think your last attempt is good, but maybe you should take it to camp and see what your teacher might say. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. To me, the eyebrow arch is too far back a bit. I wonder if hooking in an eyelash line would also help? Faces are hard to get right. Even harder - hands. At least that's what I remember from my art class days long ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.