Saturday, July 29, 2023

MORE OLD RUGS

I've done a tad more tweaking on Mother's mat but not ready to show photos yet as I want to work on her eye again.  Frankly I can only stand a little at a time tweaking as it is stressful for me.  So will show you some old rugs instead.

Lovely rug of birds with fern-like scrolls measuring 35.5 x 58; no date provided.
Here is a close up of a corner on the  back.  Must have some age to it as the rug was hooked though all layers to the edge as they did 'back in the day'.
At first glance the rug below looks more like a painting, but it is a hooked rug and was listed on Bidsquare.  Sadly I couldn't obtain any more info.
The cat must have been more important to the hooker than the dog as it  is more prominent.  Hooked late 19th century and measures 17 x 58.
Here is a close up of the bird in flight so you can see the variety of textiles used.
Primitive floral with scrolls  ~ 25 x 34.
A geometric hooked early 20th century and measuring 24 x 36.
Here is a closer view of a corner.
Another geo of sorts is this standing wool rug made in the 1800's measuring 27 x 50.
Here is a close up. Bet it was a plush and cushy rug to stand on.
Horse with soft or faded colors and measuring 27.5 x 41.  Wish I could have seen the back to determine if it was faded or hooked in pastel colors.
A Jester sitting on sliver of a moon said to be hooked1940 so not really an antique.  Dimensions are 18 x 36.
Here is a back view and appears to be hooked on burlap
Happy weekend despite the heat and humidity.  But hear next week will be a welcomed temperature change.

Saundra



6 comments:

  1. Ooooo...I LOVE that stand up wool rug! I wonder how it was done. And the jester on the moon is very fun. I don't believe I've seen one hooked before. If your weather follows ours, prepare for nasty storms, then a beautiful drop in temps and humidity. Today is a beautiful day in Nod. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could see the back of this rolly polly rug. It must have been sewed up together. It appears that a fringe was added.

    Thanks for the rug show again, Saundra. I had the same thought as you when I saw the cat bigger than the dog. The rug hooker also must have hooked the cat's side first as it appears that she or he ran out of wool color for the right side border. Definitely, a cat lover...

    Today was a stellar day for a change. Sunny and no humidity. I wish we would get more days like this but they are announcing rain again over night.

    Take care, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie on FB showed that stand up up rug today very interesting.
    The heat finally broke tonight thank goodness! How I hate it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had more thunderstorms early this morning but cleared up thankfully in the afternoon. Love the old rugs as always. You sure do find some interesting ones. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. That geometric, ,, wow,,, love it,,,,
    Cooler now today,,,,
    Better,,,, better,,,
    Elaine😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stars in the jester rug are so good. I really like that dog and cat rug. Its a really nice dog, even if the cat is bigger. That is a very nice group of rugs that you found.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.