Thursday, August 24, 2023

THROWBACK THURSDAY

When putting mother's photo back in the album I saw this very old store promo from the 1960's.  That's me on the right side and a co-worker whose name I can't recall on the left.  The advertising department must have thought we were mirror images of each other.
I was in my 20's and worked in the credit department at Almart, located on Kirkwood Hgwy, Newark, DE.  Sheesh it seems so long ago yet I remember many things of that time vividly.  
Our boss and credit manager was John Piemonte.  He was a sweetheart, proud of his Italian heritage who said we could call him Dago vs. Mr. Piemonte.  We all loved him and referred to him by both names with respect.   

There were no computers then so when someone wanted to charge over a certain amount it was called to our department for approval.  We'd then check the alpha files to see if they were current on payments.  If so, we gave the clerk a code and charge would be accepted.  Depending on how far in arrears the customer was we would either just decline the charge or go to the cashier desk to retrieve the credit card.  An antiquated system compared to today.

Now thugs just walk into stores without credit card or cash and steal thousands of dollars worth of merchandise.  In some ways we have become more advanced but in other ways it feels like the world is near collapse.

I was working at Almart in 1963 when President Kennedy was assassinated.  None of us couldn't understand how could this happen to a US President?  
Back then I was very naïve and as I've aged with more experience have become disillusioned, even cynical .  Thank goodness there's rug hooking to keep my hands and mind occupied.  
This isn't how I'd intended for the blog post to go, it just sorta evolved thru memory of the past to the current day.  God Bless America and protect President Trump and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. from the evildoers. 

Today is overcast with a threat of rain but temps will stay in the 70's again but will get a little hotter toward the weekend.  Happy hooking!  
 
Saundra



8 comments:

  1. Lori from Notforgotten FarmAugust 24, 2023 at 10:25 AM

    I have so many papers, clipping & photos of my mom's to go through. Love the 'twin' photo of you and your coworkers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the ad for the store you worked in was great !!! It is fun to see some of the old newpaper clippings our Mother's had saved . We sure have seen a lot of changes thru our lives !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. It's fun to go back in time and relive those good old days. I see a good resemblance to your mom in that photo. I too was in an add about a fashion show. I still have the CD and the newspaper clippings. My youngest daughter was also in the show. I modelled many outfits and my husband bought all the outfits that I modelled. He bought over a thousand worth of new outfits. I may go back and revisit that old scrap book.

    I love the slower pace of those good old days.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat to have made an ad for the store you worked at. I started at a bank when I was 17 and we had no computers either. Stacks of data paper. We had to do everything by hand. This country has gone mad. I was not even impressed with the debate last night. God help us all. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that photo of you and your co--worker. Ooo la la...those legs!!! Now that you remind me, I was in a fashion show "back when." I have no photos although I think there was one in the paper. And I was in kindergarten when JFK was assassinated. Time has slipped by so quickly. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great memory!!! Such a cutie.
    Just sad there are no consequences for thievery. Nothing to deter the criminals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trump will surely need divine grace in the Pokey!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.