Tuesday, October 10, 2023

ANTIQUE RUG SHOW (edited)

Once again for your viewing pleasure are a few antique rugs.  A single deer with scrolls and directional hooking in the background.  It  measures 21.5 x 39.5 and dated around 1920.
A  sweet rug with Doves, no date provided but it measures  25.5 x 46.5.
The landscape below measures 3 1 x 51 and said to date 1920.  It was from the estate of Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman.  Interesting to find out various notable people who liked and collected antique rugs.
A farm life rug full of animals was dated between 1850-1899.  Shame it is so damaged.  This would be a fun rug to have as a plus one.
Unusual and interesting design with two cow profiles in the sky area.  So am wondering if the designer/hooker was trying to show a 'tree of life' with her departed cows in the animal afterlife.  
Turkeys with scrolls border and a hooked in date of 1915.  From the Carol Telfler collection; 26.5 x 38.5.  Don't know who Carol Telfler was but that is info provided by the auction house.
Flowers, chickens and horses.  Not really my most favorite horse rug I've saved but I've had the photo for a while so thought I'd post it.
I've had this hit and miss rug photo below since 2021 too so time to show this one as well.  Must say it is well planned out and easy to identify the motifs despite the hit and miss.
Now an antique horse rug which DOES ring my bell is this one below.  But have no other information.

For the cat lovers, a kitten with a bowl of milk.
A canine rug for those dog people ~ details of the dog are non-existent but the auction house didn't provide a photo of the back, but maybe it was on a frame or board.
This rug below must be a tiger.  No date was provided but the dimensions are 24 x 36.
The EDIT:  I still stand by my 'guess' the above rug is a white tiger.  Here is a photo of a rare white Tiger.
And a photo of a Zebra.
 Art is interpreted individually so will leave it up to each of you to decide for yourself what the hooked rug was supposed to be.  Heck, maybe it was a house cat 😉.

Happy hooking on this very chilly but sunny day.  Fall has certainly arrived.

Saundra 




10 comments:

  1. Love the house natural that belonged to Paul and joanne Newman,,,,
    Wow,,,interesting,,,,
    Love them all,,but that one is my favorite,,,
    Always love houses,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the last one is a zebra? Looks like the ears might be a bit longer than a tigers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the turkey rug and I am not sure why lol
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The free spirited horse is my favorite one. I think he belongs in your coral.
    Thanks for the rug show.
    Keep warm. Hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m a turkey fan too but the horse mats make my heart sing. Wow! Thank you for the show sheepunderfeet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I like your choice the best and I know you'd do it proud. I, too, think that last one is a zebra. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you could do an amazing job on the farm life rug. Also the last horse rug posted is another that might have your name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with your bell ringing. That cat has some odd leg issues going on. The turkeys and cows are both pretty stunning. Would be interesting to know the back stories (like you say). Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete
  9. In any case, you're right. It's definitely not a zebra.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun turkey one. Dont often see turkeys. Love it. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.