Tuesday, October 3, 2023

BED RUGS

In my previous blog post showing antique rugs, the last one was this beautiful Seabury Bed Rug.  There was some question as to it being a legit hooked rug with the early date 1819 and availability of all the same colors during that time period.
They must have forgotten the Mary Comstock Bed Rug was hooked 9 years earlier, in 1810.  
A view of the Comstock rug from another source.
And, 
from the Kopp book "Rugs Under Foot" so you can see the date, the photos above are provided for you to see the true colors.
Believe it or not there was even an earlier bed rug made with "a running stitch then clipped" which I'm assuming means hooked then loops clipped.  The bed rug below was made by Catherine Thorn for her sister Mary's wedding chest in 1724.
As to the availability of wool or other textiles, they would have been more accessible to affluent people of the time period.  Whereas country folk less wealthy hooked rugs out of necessity for the floor.  They wouldn't have the resources or access to such luxury and would have used rags.  Hope I've redeemed myself ladies, lol. 

Happy hooking.   Going to be a gorgeous day today and guess I'd better get myself outside to cut the grass and mulch leaves for the last time this year.
 
Saundra


7 comments:

  1. You certainly didn't need redeeming, but thanks for the comparison references. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite the plural of information. Interesting read on having a wedding chest rug from the 1700's. Ditto Robin's comment. No need to redeem yourself. We once saw a penny rug at the museum we like to frequent in a bedroom. It was amazing and if I had made that would not have wanted anyone walking on it. These bed rugs are just as amazing! Thanks for sharing. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, for one, hadn't a clue hooked rugs dated so early. Thanks for the education ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on no need to redeem yourself. Thanks for always giving us so much information. I bet those bed rugs must have kept them warm.
    Take care, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first glance at the title, I read "Bed Bugs." 😮😂 They are amazing! I can't even imagine the time and work and the weight of those rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Redeem yourself??? I love the idea of a bed bug just not enough to try and hook one.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.