Wednesday, October 18, 2023

FUN OLD RUGS

It's fall y'all, and thought this was a great rug to start the post with.  A scarecrow from the Carol Telfer collection.  After a previous post with a couple of the rugs referencing Carol Telfer I learned she was an antiques dealer and collector.  I absolutely LOVE this piece!  It was said to be from Canada.
Found this dog rug below strangely hooked and wonder why the hooker did it that way.  I don't see a fourth foot, so what is that distended stomach area?  There was no view of the back so couldn't tell if it was damaged and rehooked.  Even so why would someone rehook it like this?
A deer eating leaves 21 x 39 on burlap and said to be hooked between 1800-1899.
An early cat dressed with a bow.  Antique rugs are so darn interesting and fun.  This one you can see how she 'made do' using what was available to finish areas even if the color was vastly different.  She needed a rug, lol.  
A Grenfell landscape and although hard to define, it appears to be a dog on the right foreground.
An oval rug depicting house and trees hooked with various textiles.  This brought back my not so wise choices of using homespun and other hard-to-pull fabrics when doing the 'textile challenge' which you can see HERE.  Some people made better choices which were more hand friendly.
From the 1800's is this deer rug.
Here is a closeup of the textiles and they must have been a cut quite wide as some appear to be large knotted loops.
Hit and miss rug of horse with tulips in the corners of the border.
Hope you enjoyed the show.  Happy hooking.

Saundra



11 comments:

  1. Love these old rugs!!! But that scarecrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun scarecrow.
    That dog rug is just too weird.
    The last horse rug is making my head spin...but I bet you would do an amazing job hooking that one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scarecrow is spooky cool in its starkness but the vertical deer mat is amazing. Thank you for the shares!! Sheepunderfeet

      Delete
  3. I love the first and last rugs although I could never hook the horse or it would take me years to accomplish that.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think that poor Dog had damage to the rug , so the person just tried to repair the rug with a weird looking belly ?
    The scare crow would be a fun one to hook !
    Rug shows are always fun !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That scarecrow is PHENOMENAL!!!! I love it and think you seriously need to hook it or some variation of it. I also am intrigued with the last rug...busy, but the movement and color work so well. It kinda reminds me of those hidden pictures where you had to stare very intently at an abstract type picture and then you would see an amazingly detailed picture appear. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that poor dog with the distended belly. Why, oh why, was it hooked that way. Maybe as a bad joke.

    I like the scarecrow, the Grenfell landscape but I love that deer rug with its muted colors. I love its simplicity with its wide legs. I find the last one, the horse almost hypnotic when I look at it. The horse is lovely but the border is just too busy for my taste. Not something I could look at for long period of time without going gaga.
    Thanks again, Saundra for the antique rug show.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that dog pregnant? Just weird for sure. Scarecrow is a great Fall piece. Not a fan of the hit or miss. Just to busy in my eyes. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...that Scarecrow...the movement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love ,love the scarecrow,,,,and the house mats too,,
    Thanks again,,,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it’s the butt of the dog. He’s turned sideways and that’s his two back legs. Denise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.