Sunday, January 21, 2024

Lone Stag Update

The first photo is the original antique Canadian rug hooked late 19th or early 20th century.  Notice all the different blocks of color there are in the background.  I think that makes the rug more interesting.  I'm going to attempt to get close but don't plan on any dyeing or buying to get those exact colors.  I'll use something from my stash and just 'make do'.  Which means my colors won't be spot on.
I jumped around the pattern hooking different colors to audition them and see how they play with one another.  Just took a photo so let's see what changes are in my future.
All I can say is mine looks pale in comparison to the rich colors of the original.  Oh well.  Good thing I'll be taking my time on this project because there's nothing interesting in queue for the next one.  Or I'll be reduced to identifying the salvaged photos on the flash drive and trolling thru those.  

OH, recently I saw someone's adaptation of this antique and she did a magnificent job on it.  Wish now I'd saved a photo of her work and her name.  Happy hooking everyone and hope you are warm.
                                   
Saundra


9 comments:

  1. Me thinks it would be hard to duplicate this one, but me also thinks you are doing a good job of it. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at your stag and then at mine and shake my head. I don't know why I ever thought I could hook. Your loops are lovely. Happy Monday. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have no fear. Lone Stag will be wonderful just like every other rug you hook ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looking good so far and I have every confidence that it will be a work of art. I would have difficulty hooking this in a wide cut. I noticed the original is hooked in a fine cut.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will do a great job ! When you get your background colors behind the Stag he will be perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like this one. So the oldie looks as though it has more of a yellow tone over the piece as a whole. (might just be the pictures) I think in the past you have either sprayed a finished piece or given it a gentle "rinse" in a hued water. Is that something you could do here? You might not want to, but I'm asking as much as a could you as a do you want to - if that makes sense. Think it will be a gem either way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The background does look interesting for sure!!!I am sure in it's heyday. It was amazing and darker!!!love it💕
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are going to nail this one...xoxo
    Lori from Notforgotten Farm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am hooking this rug too, doing it in hand torn - it’s one of my favorite & if I could figure out how to post a pic I would 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.