Friday, January 12, 2024

RUG SHOW

I feel the need to do a post, and the sheep rug still isn't finished so thought I'd provide a rug show for you.  

Wonderful oval landscape, 23 x 46 and hooked early 20th century.
Horse hooked late 19th or early 20th century, dimensions are 21 x 40.
Lion said to be hooked 1900 measures 23 x 47.5.
recumbent dog also dated 1900, 22.5 x 38 with a bold hit and miss background.
No date on the geometric star rug, 39 x 44.  Good use of those worms.
This cat was said to be from 20th century.  Seems the photo doesn't show the entire rug as it measures 18.5 x 31.5.  So is hard to say if it had a border, was an oval or what shape.  Must say whoever hooked it did a great job making the rug look like a braided one.  
Subtle colors, primitive scrolls in corner.
A quite stained whale hunt rug hooked early 20th century, 24 x 36. 
For true colors before staining, here is a photo of the back.
Lots going on in this home hearth scene.  Hooked by Minnie (Nissley) Stehman in 1930 from Ephrata, PA, size is 38 x 68.
The rugs shown above were from another but full flash drive. Several years ago I saved all my photos on the computer and then one day my computer crashed.  Poof.  There went all the antique rug photos, rug camp photos taken with a digital camera, all gone.  That is when I purchased flash drives and made separate folders with subject:  antique hooked rugs, Cape May rug camp, Woolley Fox camp, etc. and accessing what I wanted to post was a piece of cake.

Now to my recent nightmare!  I printed out enlarged pages for my next project but thought it was too big.  Decided to print another pattern a tad smaller so put the flash drive back into the USB port.  A pop-up said: "unable to open drive needs formatting".  WHAT???  Couldn't believe my eyes to pulled the flash drive out and inserted again with the same response.  
My 32GB flash drive had crashed!  Hundreds of photos gone.

I wondered if it was possible for the photos to be recovered so took it to a local computer shop.  The next day the computer tech called me saying he would be able to recover the photos and started describing them.  I acknowledged him and stated they were all named and in separate folders.  His reply was, not now.  But at least the photos survived and were put on another flash drive.  

So now this is what I see when opening up the drive.  There are 3 folders of recovered pictures and of course this is only the viewing of a portion of one folder.  No description, no longer in separate folders and frankly don't plan to do the hours and hours of work required to organize them again.  But at least if there is something I must have can probably find it now.  Only file I might make would be my pattern line drawings.
Oh, and now that I know  just one flash drive still isn't safe I will back it up on a terabyte drive known as "My Passport".  

Back to force feeding the sheep again awaiting more inclement weather and high winds.  Happy hooking.

Saundra


8 comments:

  1. I thought the exact same thing when I saw that cat rug...wow, amazing replication of a braided rug. I don't know what it is, but something about that subtle one with corner scrolls is my favorite in this show. So mellow...almost like a watercolor. That's a real bummer about your flash drive. I can only imagine the hours it would take to put it back the way it was...but, you're right...at least you know the thing you're looking for has to be there "somewhere." Major blizzard going on here...they upped the totals to up to 15" and winds gusts of 50mph. Holy heck. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awful for you to lose so many photos. The rugs are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is just awful about all your pictures ! I would be crying ....I really don't know how to do a lot when computer problems happen.....luckily mu husband can usually figure out things. I really need to put pictures on a flash drive ...I have way too many saved .
    We are suppose to get rain tonight & winds too , most of our snow has melted . Hope your lake doesn't get worse ! Poor Robin could get 15" of snow ! Hope you will both be safe and warm & cozy in your homes !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer about loosing your photos. I had lots of photos on my MacBook Pro and decided to burn CDs of them. Then when I started having issues with MacBook Pro, I got a MacBook Air but it didn't had a CD player in it. The CDs still sits in a drawer.

    I have a lot of photos on this laptop. I should try to put them on sticks or something. I'm not very smart in that dept.

    I like the pictorial rugs. They are always my favorite and for some reason, I like the stained nautical one better than the original color. I love the Sepia color.
    Thanks for entertaining us with another great rug show.

    I hope Robin has snowshoes with that much snow. I feel for all those who are experiencing wet and cold. Oddly enough, we've had sunny skies all day.

    Take care, stay dry and warm.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH on losing all of your pics on your flash drive. That braided rug looks real. Very talented person who hooked that one. We are finally in the midst of a storm. Snow, rain and wind. Not sure how this all going to turn out in the morning. We lost our internet already for a few hours this afternoon. Hope fully nothing else will go out. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes!
    Sorry u lost ur pics,,,,!
    Great rug show,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though they are not in folders, I hope the techy guy was able to save all the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such nice clear photos! Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.