Wednesday, March 6, 2024

HOOK'N STUFF

Last year I attended 3 rug camps ~ Maryland Shores in April, Delmarva Workshop in November, both of which are held at same venue in Ocean City, MD and organized by the same people.  Difference is the April classes started out as McGowan patterns only camp and since primitive and wide cut became popular the Delmarva Workshop was born.  Then September I attended Rugs by the Sea camp in Cape May, NJ.

This year, the only camp I signed up for was Cape May.  But would attend only if I got my one teacher choice... Lucille Festa.  Since the camp has been reduced to only one week was certain I wouldn't get her, thus no stress on choosing a pattern, selecting wool, packing suitcases, loading, yada yada.  

Well guess what; I got her.  So appears that, God willing, I'll be headed to Cape May again this September.  So I've started picking antique rug ideas and right now have two to choose from.  Nope, not gonna show you yet because I'm fickle and just might change my mind.  After all Cape May is still 6 months away.

This morning I put half yard of mixed wool pieces to soak and decided to use a new recipe.  
Was looking for a dirty brown color and what I ended up with was nothing like that.  Thankfully it is pleasing to my eye but not what was expected.  This first photo was taken rather close up and is lighter than it appears in person.
I stepped away and took another photo and this appears darker than in person.  
I have another half yard of wool soaking and tomorrow will use my faithful Old Patina recipe to get more of what I was looking for.  So much for my trying a different dye recipe for something new.

Whatever was I thinking when purchasing that top wool???  However, the other 3 pieces of wool were also in the pot dyed today, those would be the top 3 in the photo above.  
Had planned to also post a photo of my accomplishments on Star and Hearts rug but have been fighting with my computer's USB ports, my printer all of a sudden doesn't want to play nice and still haven't figured out that problem.  Will fight with that issue again tomorrow.

Not even checking my spelling as it is past my bedtime already but wanted to get this post done. 

Saundra




7 comments:

  1. Always great to get UR teacher,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it makes your heart happy to get the teacher you want. Not sure what schools I will attend this year if any. I have a 3 day class with Michelle Palmer next month but I can travel from home each day.
    Interesting results from your dying I always get interesting results it never comes out the way I think it should. I am on well water I think it has something to do with it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reds turned out pretty. And I'm sure you'll pick another wonderful antique reproduction for your class. Lauren and I were thinking about going to a camp in Jacksonville, Florida. But we're unsure about traveling in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you got your teacher of choice and will be going. I know how you look forward to your camps and quitting all of them cold turkey would be difficult. What a difference in colors between your two photos. Have fun deciding on your camp project and all the preparations! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just amazes me how dying your wools , even the ugly wool can turn out so wonderful ! It's great to be able to turn the ugly wool into something so pretty . Love your reds.
    Looking forward to hearing about your class with Lucille ....she has beautiful patterns and wool .

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for getting the teacher you wanted. That always is a plus. Your dyed wools are lovely. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are done fighting with your computer. So frustrating.
    You do plan ahead for camp!!! Why did you opt out of the other two? No teacher you were interested in?
    Have fun in the dye pots. I am pretty sure I want teal horses for my May rug camp so I better start thinking about dyeing some wool. Just thinking is good for me...lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.