Saturday, May 25, 2024

MY FAVORITE WAY TO BIND A RUG

Actually I don't have a favorite way. 
I liken it to when I used to make dolls ~ after the cloth doll was sewn and stuffed the shape inspired me to either hand stitch facial features or paint them.  Likewise once the doll had a personality she inspired the clothing I'd make.  Below is one with a stitched primitive face.
Another with a Victorian look.
Don't want to bore you so will do just one more picture, but you get my drift I'm sure.
So depending on the rug is how and when I choose the style binding I'll do; and think I've done them all.  The rug below is a Bev Conway design named Rufus hooked in 2006 when I was in my brighter side of the crayon box.
I bound the rug with a bias wool covered cord.
BTW Blogger is NOT playing nice at all today.  It will not allow me to enlarge the photos.  Hopefully if you tap on the photos they will appear larger for you to get a better look.

Magdalena's Goat (and other rugs) have wool yarn whipped edges here is a corner of the front and back views.  I used to do wool whipped edge with cording but no longer do the cording.
Cherries and Candy Stripe was bound using the doubled cotton fabric technique which I have done on a few occasions.
This chicken rug was done in a completely different style as I wanted it to look primitive.  Betsy Reed demonstrated the technique in a class and you can see how I did it HERE.
And the last way I've bound rugs is using the traditional cotton binding which can be purchased in various colors.
I would like to suggest you not place your wool covered cord rugs in a highly walked area.  One of my rugs wore thin and you can see those white holes on the left side and bottom of the photo below.  Those are not moth holes, the wool has worn thin.
Okay, I know what you're thinking and saying to yourself, "but the cord edge protects the hooked edge".  Yes, that may be true but I've rugs in well used areas with cotton binding and the wool on those at the edge has not worn thin.

Well, I've an Ox Farm pattern to draw and hope to clean the pollen covered back porch.  Have a great weekend.

Saundra
  


5 comments:

  1. Very interesting on how you have bound your different rugs. Hope you have an awesome weekend. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very interesting ! I have never used cording , but a friend does her binding like that often. Betsy's way is really pretty and looks nice and old , but how well does that wear on a rug you would use on the floor ? I just Love this Chicken rug you hooked too ! Your dolls are beautiful and have so much detail , must have taken hours to make them . Your Rufus rug is great , but never would have thought that you hooked ! LOL Fun to see how our colors have changed thru the years !!! This was a great post ...Thank you Saundra !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet dollies! You've got quite the talent. Fascinating all the variations in bindings. My binding method has evolved over the years as well. Think I started with cording and cotton twill...then moved to the whipped yarn method - with and without cording (mostly without) and now usually do a simple wool binding. I like the look of the latter method best but process wise, liked the whipped (cordless) method the best. Beautiful (albeit windy) day here...rain and cooler temps back tomorrow. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. those dolls are darling. You have done them all I am sure. I have one I hate to do but do it on occasion is the whipping ugg.
    The pollen is brutal here, it is pine pollen and everything is a yellow green tinge.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweet dolls. You are most talented.
    I have never used cording, but you have so many great binding methods...but ugh on binding!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.