Friday, May 17, 2024

ANTIQUE RUG SHOW

Isn't is fun to look at rugs hooked by other folks?  When attending a rug camp I always look forward to the rug show.  Also enjoy the 'throw down' to see who is hooking what and if there is a pattern I'd be interested in myself.  And, of course I love antique rugs so let's take a look at what I've found lately.

Here's one with animals and flowers.   Hooked late 19th to early 20th century.  I kinda like this but could get bored with the curves.  But heck, I've hooked lots of circles in my time and never got bored with those.  Maybe I'd do just one row of curves both bottom and top border.
A lovely way to use up all those left over strips.  Look closely at the rug below which I like because it looks old and worn.   You could use up lots of the wool you don't know what else to do with as it would help create that vintage appeal.  They would make a wonderful geometric rug and not worry about what color goes well with the one next to it.  It works!
A shorebird and the auction house didn't provide a date.
Lauren will probably love this Pug Rug dated 1898 ~ the 1 must  have really faded out.   Might be something she'd like to adapt to give her DSO or for herself.
I don't particularly care for this cobalt blue floral (hooked mid 20th century).  The reason I saved it was because if the flowers were removed it would remind me of the 'no broadcast' tv signal back in the day.
A very well preserved hearth rug circa 1875.  Dimensions are 28.5 x 67.
A landscape hooked 
late 19th-early 20th century. 
Another landscape which has a pixelated look so wonder if it is wool crewel work instead of hooked.
OH, I don't have a cat or horse rug yet so guess I can't stop yet.  This next one should cover all those requirements ~ it has a cat, dog, horse, rabbit and even a goat.
Happy hooking.

Saundra


7 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at how many old rugs you can dig up. I love the hearth one but would switch out the pink petals of the center flower. Also love the cat rug but not sure I'd do all the other animals...but they are really well done. There's just something about the cat's stripy fur and scaredy cat tail LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pug one reminded me of Lauren right away. The first one does have a lot of curves, but I know you would be able to do it if you chose to. Shorebird is a nice one too. Guess I am in the red mood today. LOL Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hearth rug & the two rugs with houses speak to me .....the blue one really does resemble the Broadcast system ! LOL Rug shows are always fun to see ..Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both landscape rugs. I would like the first one if the centre was larger minus one row of scallops at the bottom. It lacks balance. Thanks for the rug show again.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pug rug. Very cool!!!
    That last rug is pretty neat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!that first one is amazing ,,,Busy but fun,,,,love the houses too,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh that last one!
    Lori from NFF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.