Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cherokee Proverb

This is a new year, new challenges ~ some we like and some we don't.  I find that my rug hooking settles my blood pressure and puts me in a comfort zone.  Some people do yoga, some meditate, there's also breathing and concentration exercises.  But what it comes down to is controlling the mind and body to relax. 

I'm not quite sure where or how I first learned about this Native American Legend originally but do know it was during a very stressful time in my life.  Years ago I this printed out and posted on my refrigerator door so that it will set me straight or try to for that day and every day I walk by the refrigerator.  I would like to share it with my friends now.

A Cherokee Legend
 
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Photo: A gray wolf in the snow

So think about which emotion you are feeding and concentrate on what your goal is.  For positive results feed that one with good thoughts, positive ideas and look ahead with a smile.  Try to avoid the anger, hatred, jealousy as all that does it stir up anxiety and raise your blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.