Here we go....... deep breath and crossing fingers. I am not done with the assembly yet so you will know right away if this goes in the trash. I'm taking so many pictures that I was afraid to overload poor Blogger so thought I'd post pictures of what I've done so far.
First thing I did was steam press the piece. Then I marked 1/2" away from the last hooked row, cut the excess away and serged the edges. Don't have a serger? Then you can do what is recommended for rugs and do a couple rows of straight stitch and zig zag stitches so it won't ravel. No sewing machine? Then do what you normally do to secure the edges.
Next step was folding the foundation inside and steamed again.
Then folding the eye glass case in half you can see the backing where the fold is.
So, I took a #6 strip and did a running stitch down the length so the foundation wouldn't show. You could also hook cornrow style down that area to cover it up, whichever you prefer.
This is what it looks like folded but still not lined. Next I cut a piece of black flannel a little larger than the opened eye glass case.
This is to be continued....... and let's hope this process works or I'll have to resort to another method. I've already received the woman's eye glass case in the mail and haven't touched it until I see if my experiment works okay.