I have made numerous purses with linings plus small inside pocket but since this is a more narrow project I didn't want the bulk of seam allowances. So this has been a learning experience for me as I try a different way to assemble yet still have a soft flannel lining for eyeglasses, an Apple iPod / other MP3 or cell phone.
Continuing on with the assembly tutorial, the next thing I did was put a line of glue along the bottom edge of foundation as well as a line at the second row of hooking. My thinking was that it would make for a nice snug closure.
Lesson #1 learned...... that made it more difficult for me to hand stitch the backing at the side and bottom because the hardened glue made the needle difficult to penetrate. The stitching process will be posted tomorrow.
After all sides were glued down, secure and dry, there was a bead of glue at the very top along the foundation very close to the last row of hooking. It had to be very close to cover all the foundation linen.
I pinned it in place and let the glue cure. As you can see from the photo below, I used Aleen's Quick Dry Tacky glue. That way the curing doesn't take overnight so some progress can be made in a day. Yet, I still took my time to be sure everything was secure.
After that dried then it was gluing the other 3 sides close to the end of the backing. Oops, I almost forgot to take a picture of that part and pulled the flannel up so I could show you.
After that had dried I trimmed away the excess flannel. My object was to have complete flannel lining coverage but have the foundation to stitch to for the closure.