Thursday, November 7, 2013

For Better or Worse

And right now it is beginning to feel like it is 'for worse'.  When I looked at the original photo of Shadow and what I'd hooked it looked as tho I needed to make that extra flesh fold line so pulled out several loops and hooked it in.  Now this most recent photo of my hooking makes her appear as tho she has on a collar or weird hooker making irrational hooking choices.
This is the pose I chose for her portrait and you can see the fold that I made a stab at. 
Perhaps I should have left well enough alone when Shadow looked like this and before I pulled out loops and rehooked what you saw in the first posted picture.
But now I have to obviously pull out the *#!? loops once AGAIN.  And do what????  Hook back in the strips that I removed????  Were it not the fact that I'm so close to being done, and the fact that she was a precious part of my life and loyal companion, I'd roll this up and stuff it in the back of some shelf so I didn't have to look at it for a while.

Today I really thought that I would be on the right track and the change needed to motivate me to complete the rug.  Not so; I've had it, I'm frustrated and plan to pull loops on Long Island Farm for relaxation tonight. 

I'd thought of taking the rug with me to my workshop this weekend and get teacher advice to set me straight and give me direction.  But don't know if I want to taint my fun time at camp bringing it even if only for advice.  Obviously I will NOT be hooking on Shadow at camp because this will be a fun camp and not work.

Sorry to use the blog as a sounding board and I'm not normally a negative type person.  But Shadow was started in early September and it is now November 7th.  The rug only measures like 19 x 20 or something like that.  I would have had most things this size hooked inside a month or less.

So now that you've heard me rant and rave I'm wondering how many primitive hookers (like me) are interested in doing realistic hooking now?  I'm pretty sure this will be my last.  Heck, I thought I was doing good by hooking Shadow in a wide cut #8 vs. #3 like my departed Rottweilers were hooked in (below).  But think the days of hooking realistically is over for me.
It is time for me to take my boy Ben for a walk and will hopefully walk off a little frustration with the fresh air and the driveway full of pretty fallen leaves. 

Have a great evening everyone.

Saundra

6 comments:

  1. You may be being too hard on yourself, I think the angle of the little line under the center of her nose is a little too straight up toward her nose. From the actual photo, it seems like it slants a tiny bit more to the outside of her mouth and nose. I think it is a work of art. I also think the darker color under her neck will change how the ruff along that area will look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do well hooking outside my comfort zone. The project drags on until I finally give up. So I get your frustration and how special this project is to you. I think Shadow looks wonderful and you are being too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think hooking a pet is hard because you are trying to capture the personality of the pet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful rug Saundra.You are one of the most talented hookers.hugs cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how we get hung up on the areas, that to start, look like they will be easy to hook. Your eyes are wonderful, by the way!
    I had the same problem when I hooked my pillow of Cleopatra the basset...the face was fairly easy, it was the ears and the neck that gave me problems as well. I'll study this and see if I can make any suggestions....this is tough!!
    And I know how frustrating it gets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.