Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Here Comes Santa Claus

There really must be a Santa Claus, because here he is.  Actually, this is a Santa that my talented doll maker and hooker friend Shari Lutz has  created for a customer.  Do you believe the talent that woman has to create such a lifelike face?   The face is NOT from a mold, but is hand sculpted by Shari using sculpy and glass eyes.

If you wish to see other items she creates, click on her name and it will take you to her web site.  She does other folk art, not just Santas.
And speaking of Santa....I've had a marvelous time hooking today when I should have been cleaning.  But hey, it is just me and Ben here and tomorrow I'll be at my son's house with family so just may as well enjoy my Christmas eve the way I wish, right?  That's what I thought you'd say (think).

Once I started hooking Santa realized I'd messed up on my drawing (after comparing it to the antique again) and made a re-deux.  If you compare this photo with the previous post you will see what I mean ~ the deer chest and Santa coat/arm area.
And this is what I accomplished today.
It was fun checking my bags of left over wool strips to see what I could use in this one as it is rewarding to know that the leftovers are being used up little by little.  The eyes were left over blue strips as were the lips, nose and cheeks.  Santa has a wind burn, har har, he does look a little tan and for that used a wonderful wool that makes a nice primitive flesh.  Most of his beard was also left over strips.

Since there are no plans to change the dimensions or border of the piece have sewn my pre-binding line.  So now all I have to do when the hooking is done is steam and trim off the excess backing before the binding.

As you can see from the note at the bottom of the design, it measures 23" x 25 1/2".  I'm sure the antique was larger but this is the size I wanted since there are no plans for it to be a floor rug but rather something to pull out and place on the harvest table at Christmas.

Have a marvelous holiday.  Peace be with us all. 

Saundra

1 comment:

  1. Wow I sure love him, he s amazing!
    Lovin' your rug!
    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas day with your son!

    I let my dust bunnies lie today (grin)!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.