Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Mow and Drive Carefully

Yesterday anticipating another night of storms I looked in the backyard from inside and saw turtle movement.  She was about 6 or 7 inches moving her legs about making a burrow to lay eggs.

Was so afraid of disturbing her so just watched from inside until I couldn't stand it any longer.  Grabbed my camera and went out to take a photo.
Then walked around for another photo to get a better look of her face for identification.  Took pictures quickly and came back inside.
There is some red and yellow on her front legs and yellow on her face which didn't come out of the shell.  

Still enamored by my baby mama turtle was fixated on stalking her and noticed she had burrowed numerous areas along that side yard laying eggs everywhere.
Will have to learn what species she is, how many eggs they lay and what the gestation period is.
Needless to say I'll need to post signs in my yard.
And will have to be cautious when cutting grass for baby turtle crossing.  OMG, it gives me shivers as I do love my critters.  Tonight AND Friday will be more rainy days so guess mama turtle knew what she was doing.  The next two days is predicted to give another 2-4 inches of rain.  Am sure the farmers are happy but already my back woods is like a pond.  Just praying it doesn't flood as it has in the past.

Not sure which I dread worse....WIND or RAIN.

OH... there IS a new pattern on my frame and I will share it with you tomorrow.  

Saundra


5 comments:

  1. Wow,,, thats so interesting,,, we have turtles around, too,,,
    But thats close!!
    Cant wait to see what pattern u chose!
    Take care , hope no floods,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mowing could be an issue. But fun to watch new life unfold in your yard. Hope your weather isn't too bad and no flooding. Glad to hear you have a new rug started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Saundra,
    I am finally back to reading and commenting on my favorite blogs after taking a break! Have sure missed it and need to get back in the "swing and rhythm" of blogging and commenting again!! Lots of "catching up" to do, too!! Loved seeing Mrs. Turtle and so happy you noticed her so you can watch for those baby turtlets! Hope you don't get any more crazy weather!! Happy to hear you have a new rug on the frame, too!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess she wanted to lay her eggs in various places as a defense mechanism, in case something got into one next, she had the others? Maybe get some stakes and cord and rope off those areas, so you can leave them be?

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.