Wednesday, March 6, 2019

There's More

In a previous post I mentioned wondering why so many old rugs had the animals' tongues sticking out.  This is the rug to which that comment was made.
Then a couple loyal followers replied they didn't recall seeing that in rugs....or something to that effect.  I love it when readers comment as it gives me a topic to work on.  So went thru my digital library of saved photos.    Enjoy....

Here is a white dog hooked in the 1900s.  Oooh but I love that background.  The rug hooked was quite creative by doing the polka dot border with zig zag beauty line. 
This rug is from Canada.  Thank you Lori for saying you thought it was a mama bear and her cub ~  what was I thinking?   Duh, bears like honey!
Below is a dog with spots and some may say that is a red dog collar, I say its the dog's tongue.
A black lamb showing its tongue.
This is a close up of a hooked dog's face with tongue sticking out and somewhere in my files is the rest of rug.  Will post it when I find it.
A recumbent dog.  Notice also the tip of the tail and feet.  This is not a Magdalena rug but she would often hook a bit of red at the feet, tail and beak or nose of her animals.
Another pup with a tongue showing.
A St. Bernard with hit and miss border.
A fox hooked rug, guess it is panting from being on the chase or being chased.
This dog seems friendly and happy.
Spooky the Cat isn't an antique but thought I'd show you this beauty with its tiny tongue.  You're welcome Kelley 😊.
So far that is all I've found in my archived photos.  If any of you have a photo of an antique rug with the animal's tongue out I'd enjoy you sending it to me.

Saundra

7 comments:

  1. to me, the rug with the honey bees look more like bears? like a mama and her cub? but I may be wrong ~ never have given thought to tongues in rugs before ~ thanks for your research, they are all special!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny all the pups are sticking their tongue out ….is it to define their mouth ? Guess it adds a little to their character ??? Neat rugs ….

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for cracking me up...most of my favorite cat photos are when they have their tongues sticking out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! Thanks for the follow up Saundra! I absolutely adore Spooky!!!!!! Happy Hump Day! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never noticed the tongues before and you have found many!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are treasures , for sure!
    Love the tongues iut,,,
    Sometime when I take pics of my kittys ,,, tongues are there,,, sticking out,,,! Haha so sweet these mats,,,
    Love that polka dot one too,,,,
    Thanks fir posting,,,
    Sun today,,, after 2 stormy days!! Yes, yea,,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand the tongues on dogs - it seems rare that they aren't hanging out on real dogs. Other animals, I wonder if the rug hookers weren't trying to define the mouth as NMK said. Using red turns the mouth into tongue hanging out, or lips, in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.