Thursday, March 4, 2021

From Challenge To Antique Rug Show

Thought everyone would enjoy seeing some antique rugs while waiting for the last of the challenge pieces to show up.  And in case anyone is wondering ~ I had no adverse reaction to first dose of the Pfizer vaccine.  Perhaps with the second shot I'll have a reaction but am very happy to finally have received the first one.

This first antique rug intrigues me as it is a Horse with cave art appeal which was said to be hooked between 1800-1899.  It measures 28 x 47; this is a close up.
This is a full view but at an angle.
Another horse rug, I believe the one below is an E.S. Frost design.  No dimensions or date were provided.  
Although somewhat faded except for the center, here is a close-up of the flower.
From Canada is Silver Black Fox and in the auction description said it is with Maggie and Jiggs. The rug measures 22 x 51 and is the collection of Jim and Ilona Fleming hooked 1935 so guess it isn't quite the legal age of public domain quite yet.   I'm not familiar with the history or names so maybe someone could enlighten me.
Here's a Hit and Miss Geometric from the Williamsburg Folk Art Museum.  Sorry, don't have dimensions.
The date on the rug below is being obscured by the floral arrangement but it was hooked in the 1920s  Don't have dimensions but it was being auctioned in York, PA.  
The below rug is too ornate for me to hook but thought you'd like to know about it's meaning.  The 1876 Crowned Eagle, beehive and conjoined cornucopia horns symbolize steadfastness, promise and plentiful bounty of freedom, value of work, faith, piousness.  It measures 33 x 44 and still in excellent condition.
A cute Cat with a triangle (saw tooth) border and flowers.  No dimensions or age provided by the auction house.
Finally a 1900s Floral with Scrolls measures 18 x 34.   
Here's a close up of the yarn and knit fabric.
Below is a back corner of the rug; take note how the hooker folded over the edge and hooked a self binding.  I've always been amazed at how they managed to do that because I need my gripper frame and they had to accomplish that task without any frame at all.   
Have a great day and happy hooking.

Saundra

9 comments:

  1. Always fun to the pretty old rugs .....Love the Dog ! Good to hear you felt fine after your shot !!! Another week with no chance of getting a shot ....so discouraging ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Difficult to tell, but the second horse appears to have 1 white sock. (One white foot, keep him not a day, Two white feet, send him far away, Three white feet, sell him to a friend, Four white feet, keep him to the end.) Also, I kinda like the funky cat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the cat rug. You always find the best antique rugs.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those kind words but I only find them when they are on auction sites I can find.

      Delete
  4. So happy all went well with the vaccine and hope you have the same with your 2nd dose.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear about UR shot!!!
    Great mats,,,,,
    Love the horse,,,and cat,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, could not hook without my gripper frame, and the tauter the linen, the better for me. I see some hookers using a gripper frame but the backing is very loose. I have gotten rid of frames because of that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous rugs as always Mummy Dearest! My favorites are the first two horses. Bet that surprises you, doesn't it? Glad you had no adverse effects with the shot. Me, I'm in avoidance mode...for lots of reasons but primarily because, according to the CDC, "....no data are currently available on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines for people with autoimmune conditions." Ahem....no thank you....I have enough issues the way it is LOL. ~et~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.