Saturday, March 6, 2021

Winding Down

Soon we will all be doing yard work and cutting grass, our time will be limited so lets get these challenge pieces finished so I can share them on my blog.  

The Textile Challenge was opened February 13th.  While not everyone may have joined that day the challenge has been underway for just over 3 weeks.  Monday I will do a blog post of participants' projects.

The majority of people chose the Tattered Tulip since it was an smallish piece, 3 people chose Magdalena's Pup, 3 decided on Scrappy Cat and one person chose Hearts in Circles.  There were those people who finished their piece early and wanted to do another challenge so chose something else.  Out of that whole group there were only 2 people who haven't responded.  Yet the rest of us had a great time with comradery and sharing.  

Elizabeth drew her Tulip pattern measuring 15 x 17 so is a little larger than mine was.  She is using light weight cotton, sari silk and tie silk.  And you can definitely see where wool was used; and oh what a difference wool makes, eh Lauren, lol.  We sure do cherish our wool now don't we?
Maria just sent me her update on Magdalena's Pup and this makes me want to hook one now too and even with alternative textiles (did I honestly just say that???)  
She also sent a photo of what she's hooking in her piece ~ yarn, t-shirts and hose.
Jane also sent me her finished Scrappy Cat she named "Walter's Cat" since that cat would always greet her when cutting the grass and it had bowed front legs.
Jane sent a photo of some of the textiles used at the bottom and elsewhere loosely in the rug.  She said she used these on the wrong side to make the colors muted and also pretended she was a 13 year old hooking in the dark with whatever was available.   Oh if only we could revert back to that unharnessed innocence whenever we wanted ~ where the sky could be green or pink and animals blue?  Hmmm, is that an idea for a future challenge anyone?
Happy Saturday and happy hooking.

Saundra


 

7 comments:

  1. Well, I think I am finally back online...for how long I don't know. And something still isn't quite right. When I use Blogger in Chrome, I get an "error" and totally lose my comment 4 out of every 5 attempts. So, I am now trying to work out of Duck Duck Go...and there I have to use a different tab when I try to actually access a post. I have a technology headache big time! Anyways, love all three of these. You can really spot the wool in Elizabeth's tulip. I remember fretting over my loops (at one point, I tried to be perfect...you know, kinda like Lauren and you), but a hooking expert I respect reminded me that I was doing PRIMITIVE hooking and that "in the day," rugs were hooked by lamplight, usually when chores were done and it was dark....and, ummm, they didn't have Townsend cutters LOL. That image is often brought to mind when my frustration threatens to overtake me. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love cutting my wool by hand like our foremothers did. Gives me more of a sense of accomplishment. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. These Mats are just so wonderful!!!! I am so happy I participated in this ,,,What Fun,,,,may just do another tulip down the road with yarn and use my punch Needle,,,Haven't done that forever,,Need to find the needle first!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree this was a great project while I did not enjoy using other materials I loved seeing every ones pieces There will be no grass cutting here for some time yet so I will have lots of time to hook. But I am so looking forward to getting out on my porch again.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. More cute rugs. Congrats on the success of your challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great ! I still want to do the Pup , but am collecting cotton t-shirts & baby onesies .....
    I am hooking a small matt by Maria right now & it is heaven to use wool again !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.