Friday, June 30, 2023

PHASE TWO of SCALLOPED FLOWERS

OH NO, while I was applying black walnut stain noticed I'd not taken the time to do the 3 rows of stitching to protect what will become the edge before binding.   Which means I'll have to maneuver this bulky rug 3 times in a small area on my sewing machine.  Guess I was just too anxious to start my new project.
Okay, you asked for it but even after two applications of black walnut stain there is very little, if any, difference.  Here is the before.
Here is the after. 
Perhaps it toned down the white a little, maybe.  What I'm looking at is still pleasant and don't think I'll go for round three.  I'm quite happy with the directional hooking and felt that would calm the already busy ripple or echo hooked effect of the piece.

This one is going to be bound with cotton rug binding as I think that may help straighten the curly appearance caused by the repetitive hooked scallop design.

Last evening at 7 p.m. looking out my kitchen window saw a doe drinking from the water bucket I'd put out during this drought.  Then after she stepped away saw something small run toward her from back of the shed.  I went to the bedroom window to get a better view.   Didn't take the time to grab my camera as I didn't want to waste time and the screens on my windows gives me nothing but poor photos anyway.

I've never seen a fawn so small in my yard so very tiny.  As the fawn nursed her tail was moving a mile a minute as was the mom's.  It was such a beautiful scene and was amazed in wonderment at how the doe  communicates to the fawn to stay until she returned.  Once the fawn saw the mom headed toward her the desire to nurse was just too strong.  What a beautiful few minutes I had.

This holiday weekend will give me a chance to find something to hook and would like to have a plus-one handy too in case I get bored.  Plus it has the added benefit of being a project at the ready once the next one is done.

Enjoy your holiday weekend, be safe and it will be happy hooking for me.

Saundra


7 comments:

  1. So you still have not chosen your next project? I am shocked ;-0
    The momma and baby had to be so sweet to see.
    Happy hooking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you were so Lucky to see the fawn with her Momma ...sweet !
    Have a nice 4the Of July too .... and Happy Hooking !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a slight muting?? Mostly on the large flower. And whoa...3 more rows of stitching in addition to the serging that is already there? You are nutty MD. Awww...what a sweet sight that must have been. I have a mom and twins in my field below the house, but the babes are quite large already. Enjoy your hooking adventures. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh,,, sweet deers! So nice to see,,,
    Love , love ur mat!
    Wow,,, so lovely,,,,
    Elaine😊😊
    Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have Fauna on the outside and Fora in the inside. A great combination.
    I can see in my little mind a great rug pattern of the faun nursing in your backyard.

    Nothing ready for your next rug hooking project? Don't let that Ever Read busy bunny, Lauren distract you away from enjoying watching the happy life happenings in your backyard... I can see it gives you a lot of pleasure, but I just don't want the herd of them in my yard or gardens as they can chew up my prize plants in one evening. .lol... Summer will be gone in a flash but your wool will still wait for you.

    Happy 4th of July.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a big change, but I did notice it. Thanks for sharing! My mom has fawns each year in her backyard. They are so fun to watch when I am at her house. Is there a reason for more rows of stitching? Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.