Sunday, October 9, 2022

A FUN PERSONAL CHALLENGE (updated)

Want to play along with a couple of us and challenge yourself on hooking an antique looking mat?  This isn't a competition, it is intended to be a personal/individual challenge.  

I love antique rugs and love replicating them but would like to improve by doing what our foremothers did...use alternative textiles.  As mentioned in my previous blog post I tried that but didn't choose my fabrics wisely.  This time they will be more hand friendly.  I will share what I've learned on my own so far.  And hope even new hookers might feel comfortable to join in the fun and feel comfortable to ask plenty of questions.     

Okay, so in my previous blog post shared what I'll be working on (the Little Lamb) and here is the messy table with the drawn pattern and some of the textiles I'll be using.
I'm not using burlap and wanted to use a looser weave piece of Belgian linen I have left but it was way too small.  I drew my lamb at 16.5 x 16.5 and I'm using primitive linen.  Note that I utilize every piece of linen and for MY USE if the sides don't fit on the frame I sew fabric on the short sides so it works.  That large group of wool above the pattern will be used for some of the background and will be the perfect color.  Those were leftover worms which I overdyed and you can read about it HERE.  

Over to the right of that pile of wool is yarn, cotton knit, cheese cloth  and vintage seam binding.  Below the Little Lamb photo is a piece of green nylon stocking from who knows where.  But I plan to use it in this mat before it is lost.

I just started hooking that cheese cloth in my sweet li'l lamb and not sure if I've enough or will need to hook in a few loops of wool.  Have pulled my loops about every 3rd or 4th hole so far and may change that if it appears the loops are too close.  
While I'm attempting to hook this a little differently than normal, note that some antique rugs don't have those bits of foundation showing and appears to have bulky loops in their rugs.  So guess everyone had their own rhythm back then too so not necessary to pull low and far apart.  Here is an example of bulky  loops.  I see woven cotton, some knit and what could be wool yarn.           
The update:  Nancy asked me how wide I was cutting my cotton strips and I wasn't sure since I didn't measure, just started cutting.  But here they are lined up ~ first 3 from the left are cotton knit, then the cheese cloth and then a piece of cotton flannel.  Hope this helps.
In the previous post I provided some ideas for your project so I'll put new ones and the others here again.  You may choose one of these or another of your choice.  If you'd like to peruse my previous antique rug shows,  just type those words in the blank spot at the top left of the blog post, hit return and you will see many posts.
  
Again is Li'l Lamb.
Black Kitten.
Black Lamb.
Lone Flower.
 BUS the Dog.
Early Bird.
A pretty flower.
I think there is plenty to choose from and feels good for me to have something new on my frame...if I can sit down for a little while to pull more loops; happy hooking.  

Saundra




8 comments:

  1. I will enjoy seeing everyone's choices and renditions... Your lamb should be much more enjoyable to hook than your tulip given that you are allowing yourself to use wool...especially in the larger background area. Have fun all! ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought to use cheese cloth ! I am going to attempt this again , with lots of cotton knits from my little twin grand daughters . They will be here tomorrow with their big sister , think it will be fun to have the big sister help me draw a pattern ! How wide are you cutting your cotton knit ? Will be another fun challenge !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for having another rug pattern on the frame.
    I would have never thought of using cheese cloth either. I've only used sari ribbons and wool in my rugs. Dianne Fitzpatrick uses a lot of cotton knit that she calls Jersey.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting using cheesecloth for hooking! Look forward to seeing your progress on lil lamb! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a nice choice to hook. I do love your ideas.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start ,,,,,
    May draw the line flower up in some linen today,,,,
    Found a piece I started to draw something else on back of a small pattern,,,,So may be a mess,,,Will use another color markers,,,,
    Will also pick out some colors,,,!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many fun rugs! I love the way the cheesecloth is hooking up. Looking forward to following you along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saundra! it's Frannie from Crooked Tree Hollow!!! I was posting some of my dolls that Shari Lutz made and it made me think of YOU! Are you still in Maryland? I see you are still 'hooking' .. ADORE your rugs!!!! Would love to hear from you! You can find me on 'Facebook' .. Frannie-Stevens-Meshorer. .. MESSAGE ME and I'll give you my e-mail address.

    Do you ever hear from any of the Crooked Tree Hollow doll club?

    We moved to MONTANA ... love and adore this part of the country!!!!! Hope to hear from you soon and 'catch up' on all the 'gossip'. XO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.