Wednesday, October 5, 2022

It's Rug Show Time Again

Sometimes I think people enjoy my blog more for the antique rug photos than what I'm hooking.  Hey, that's fine with me as it is an incentive for me to keep posting and looking for them.  So if you're one of those folks you're in luck.

Recently found is this Home Sweet Home rug with an almost obliterated lettering and date of March 1933 on the left side.  It was hooked with cotton and wool on jute.
An old Americana hooked rug ~ Uncle Sam holding a flag.  It measures 33.5 x 59 and dated 1900.  
Here is a close up of Uncle Sam himself where you can see more clearly the 1900 date below Sam.
Am pretty sure I've posted this antique rug previously and perhaps it was when it was auctioned previously.  The primitive cats rug was hooked late 19th century which measures 24 x 39.5.  Like other rugs recently posted it is from the estate of Elaine Buck.
                         
Dated between 1868-1933 is the floral.  I wonder if the hooker's or recipient's name was Rose.  They gave width of 31" wide but no height.  Is  hard to tell  with the angle of the photo if it is 31" square.

I really like this Lamb with blue bow, dimensions are 34 x 44 and the collection of Alain and Louise Huin.
When I first saw the above rug on the auction site it reminded me of the Reclining lamb (below) hooked late 19the century. 
Double Eagles, 38 x 43, hooked late 19th century and another rug from the estate of Elaine Buck, West Chester, PA.
And finally, a Horse with an outlined cropped tail hooked late 19th century.  In 1999 it sold for $1,725.
Still no clue what I'll hook when the 'Mary oh Mary' Comstock rug is finished but am still thinking and looking for what floats my boat for longer than 5 minutes.  

Had my annual flu shot yesterday and since it is so dang chilly made a pot of Smoky Potato Chick Pea Soup and it was delicious.  I saw the recipe on FB about a week ago.

This morning I checked my propane (backup furnace heat) since it was at 35% level I ordered a fill-up, the price today is $3.499 but the price is going up soon I fear.  It was announced that OPEC is reducing production of oil by 2 million barrels per day.  Hopefully my price for fill-up will stay that price until at least this first delivery.

Saundra



10 comments:

  1. One thing that your antique rugs shows should teach us is to not be so uptight with getting our own rugs perfect. It's a hard thing for some of us who strive for perfection. Perfection just doesn't exist in my rugs.

    I like that first lamb. I have thing about lambs or sheep. Maybe, I just like wool.

    Enjoy the day.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    The price of everything is going up. We have a huge house to heat, thankfully we have lot of wood on our land , so we have our own source of wood but we still heat electric. many city folks do not have that advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the antique rugs too ....the faded colors and designs are so pretty. The Home Sweet Home is beautiful , wonder what the colors looked like when she hooked it ??? Love the Lamb with the blue bow & flowers in the corner .
    Hope you find a new pattern soon !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regular gas at the pumps jumped about $.50 in the last day...and it will only get worse ;-( Thankfully I heat with natural gas, but though not as bad as your propane, still not cheap.
    Better get busy choosing your next pattern. I could always send you one or four to finish up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps it is because it is Spooking Season, but I envision modifications to that first Home Sweet Home rug and making it into a haunted house...with a spooky old tree...and I'm sure I could think a phrase or words to replace the Home Sweet Home. The soup sounds interesting...might have to try it. I am finishing up some Upstate Minestrone... The "s" word is in the forecast for tomorrow...Just flurries, but still...we're not even to mid-October. Crikey. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes OPEC is reducing oil production. Gas price just went from $4.19 to $4.49. Thank you Biden. It is suppose to be cheaper in the Winter months. Not this year. Once again you put on a great rug show. Looking forward to seeing what you put on your frame next. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing the old rugs is a real treat, but I also love seeing your work. It was hard to choose my favorite this time. I suppose I will have to go with Home Sweet Home; would love to try to paint that one in my journal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love uncle Sam and I wish we had a picture of the back of home sweet home.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, pulling from quilting maths for the Rose rug - there's 9 squares along the top/bottom, at 31" that's 3.44" each square. With 7 squares on each side, that should make the rug about 24" tall. Assuming all those squares around the edge are squares that is.
    I think the center of the Americana rug could be a rug on its own.
    I love seeing the old rugs with all their quirks, and how they totally ignore reality on sizes and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like that first lamb. Oh my goodness, I can't imagine paying that much to keep my house warm. Is that normal? That is so dumb too, they keep so many restrictions on the oil here in Ca. We have million and million of barrels in the ground here that the current admin. Will not let them take out of the ground. It makes me so sick. I do hope we get some great news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very chilly here too,,so made a pot of veggie soup,Love all the mats,,especially cats and sheep,,,,,
    Sweet,,,,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.