Saturday, October 15, 2022

Antique Rug Show

My search for new blood a new rug for me to hook is rather slim pick'ns now.  But will keep looking and posting what is found for you to enjoy.  And might even have to go back into the archive antique rug photos to see if any of the past light my fire.  So on with the show....the rug below has nice fall colors with an eye appealing hit and miss background. 
This floral seat cover is yarn sewn & clipped.   Dimensions are 16 x 18 and  hooked mid 19th century.
Okay, now this one did jump started my heart a bit.  Described as a Folk Art Farm measuring 33 x 42 from 19th century.  Cannot remember where I found it so don't know where to go researching again.  Just wish this was a better and more complete picture.
Below is a rug which Barb Carroll owned and she named it 
Cora and Bentley because of the initials at the bottom.  
A strange looking cat but I like the cat and background colors.  Wonder what it is about those odd colors that gets my attention?  It measures 14.5 x 23.
I often see peoples' adaptations of this Cogswells Grant design showing up on FB.  The original measured 31 x 45 and was a gift to the museum by Bertram and Nina Fletcher Little.  Rug dated 1890-1925.
I rather like this Rooster, Berries and Hearts rug dated in the 1800's.  The monochromatic rugs are nice on the eyes and look old.  
And lastly, a Dog rug measuring 33 x 48 and said to be hooked late 19th early 20th century.
Perhaps I do have some descent designs to choose from, but none so far make me want to draw them out right away.

Happy hooking and hope the few who are joining in the fun challenge are making headway.

Saundra



6 comments:

  1. You may have to design your own rug and who knows, it may become popular. Take a little something that you like from various antique rugs and make it your own. No body know antique rugs like you do. These latest antique rugs just are not as interesting as the previous one. Maybe it's just me. I like the black horse but the white one is lost in the background.

    It's raining this weekend but I managed to clean two more flower beds. I'm getting it done, ever so slowly. We finally got a metal roof over our leaky sunroom. No more leaks... Yay.
    Have a peaceful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Juila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Julia, I am not sure any of these strike my fancy enough to hook? I kinda like the kitty just because it is so funky. I'm sure you'll come up with something. You always do! It's snowed here the past 2 days...and "flurries" in the forecast again for tomorrow. Wow...this is getting old FAST. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fall colored one is perfect for this time of year, however my heart fluttered when I saw that floral one! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the initials on Cora & Bentley was a person laying on the ground.
    Otherwise, I like the seat cover and the folk art farm, I think the rest are a bit on the drab side for me color-wise. I do like some of the designs though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That funky cat is kind of cool...but not like I'd like to hook it.
    Also, the Cogswell Grant rug is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that cat,,, too,,,,
    Love thrm all,,
    Abit under the weather with a cold! No hooking here,,,
    Elaine😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.