Friday, October 7, 2022

MY MOJO

Think my mojo is back.  Maybe it was there all the time but only revealed itself again when communicating with a loyal reader/follower yesterday.  So my next project is going to be another small antique adaptation and personal challenge.  This time I'm going to use various textiles not just wool and very little if any woven cotton.  And it will be opened up to anyone who wishes to join me.

For those who have followed me for a while you might remember when I hooked Lone Flower and hooking somewhat different than my normal.  My normal rhythm and instruction I read when teaching myself to hook and in the first structured class was to pull loops up as high as the width of wool.  And close enough that you can see thru the top of the loop, not squished closed.  

Here is the finished Lone Flower and love how it turned out but only wool was used, no alternative textiles.  If you'd like to see an older blog post during the process you can find it HERE.  
In early rugs the hooker didn't have lessons and didn't care about the aesthetics of the rug, they just needed a floor covering.  Therefore if you look closely at antique rugs you will glean all the info needed to hook a rug which looks antique.  Take, for instance, this antique Star rug  ~ ooh, look at that wonderful blotchy background.
Now look at a close up of two sections of that rug and the distance between loops.  You can see it was hooked on burlap which has become brittle, a natural occurrence of old burlap.
Also notice no wool appears in these two photos.
Plus you can see foundation peeking thru loops on a Magdalena Lollipop Bouquet rug too.
Then 2021 I hosted an alternate textile challenge on my blog and had several people join in.  My choice to hook was the Tattered Tulip.
Below was my poor rendition and my choices of textiles was not so great as I chose mostly homespun and woven cottons.  This next challenge I'll make much different choices. 
I'm not quite ready to start yet as there's just a little more to hook on the Comstock rug and want it out of the way and clean up the rat's nest I've developed first.  If any of you are interested in joining in I'll be doing another blog post in a day or two.  Meanwhile, here are a couple ideas for you choose from.  This first one will be my choice.....Primitive Lamb.
Then I looked thru my files to find other pieces which could be hooked smallish.  One I also hooked is this original antique Black Kitten.
Another good and easy project could be this Black Lamb.
Below is an original antique dog rug but of course I had to hook him too.
So guys and gals, the next couple days think about joining in to make an olde looking mat and challenge yourself.  You can choose one of the rugs I've posted here or something else that floats your boat.   Finally I'm getting excited for the next project to go on my frame.

Saundra





9 comments:

  1. I sure will join in. I love the little lamb, then I saw the kitty, love that too. Not so much the dog. I'm going to start getting stuff together for this. Should I get some burlap? Or is linen okay? What fabrics? I'm vso excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fun challenge again ......would you use cotton knits ? I have a good collection from my grand kids ....or a mix of what ever we find ??? Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you found your MoJo. Nothing worst than getting in a rut. I won't be able to join in because of the busyness at this time of year. I'm still working cleaning up the gardens and I'm working slower than a fly in January, but I'll be cheering you and the participants along. I think that most people love that little lamb. He's just so cute but the others are also good choice.

    It's our Thanksgiving long weekend here in Canada.
    Take care and stay enthusiastic for the new challenge.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you got your mojo back!!! Wish I could join. No time. Have fun! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you got your MoJo back for sure. I am saying now I will not join in as I will have 2 pieces going after I get to rug camp later this month and that is one more than I like to have going. But can't wait to see what you choose.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that sweet flower,,!! Might just join you,,slowly,,,find a small piece of linen,,and make a wall hanging,,,
    I often use different things to hook with,,yarns,,cottons,,wool Sweaters, etc,,,
    Love all the mats,,
    Glad u have UR mojo ,,,,♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to hear your mojo was just in hiding.
    Sadly, I may have to sit this one out. I now have 3 medium size rugs from 2022 classes, plus a partially hooked Christmas gift and one or two more gifts to hook. Plus a cross stitch I want to do for a gift. Not sure I can squeeze another project in. (And that doesn't include 2 rugs from classes years ago!)
    I know your followers will hook some amazing mats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your mojo showed up...I think mine is one a permanent walkabout The little lamb and the cat are both adorable but I won't be joining along. I wouldn't have even gathered linen, patterns, fabrics by the time you and the others are done and bound. I don't do well with hook-alongs or SALs...I'm just too slow. Besides, this is Dark October so all my projects are Halloween. What projects you ask? Well, dang good question...what projects indeed?? 🤔😳 ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must start my hooked present for a Christmas gift but I will watch this space and comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.