Friday, October 28, 2022

VINTAGE RUG REVIEW

I love doing these posts and sharing photos of old rugs I find listed by auction houses and elsewhere on the internet.  First up is Basket of Flowers which is a yarn sewn rug measuring 28.5 x 63 and sold for $18,000 despite its damage.
Next is 
6 point star with diamond shapes and triangles dated 1895 on the end.
A  landscape with a rooster as the main focus.  It is dated 1920, measures 40 x 42, and from the collection of Luis Arroyo.
Dated 1930 is the geometric sampler below and smallish at 13 x 19.  If I did one of those I'd have to make mine bigger than that as I'm not fond of narrow cuts.
Unfortunately I cannot validate the date of patriotic chickens below as no date was provided.  Don't know it really is antique but it does have a delightful background which lends itself to a rug of age.

Cats and Tulips circa 1900 dimensions are approx. 22 x 36 guessing by the ruler at the bottom center.
Am so close to pulling the last loop on Li'l Lamb that I'll end up with 3 rugs to bind.  Yesterday afternoon I worked on binding the Deer and Blue house while watching The Five.  Don't think I've ever had that many rugs needing to be bound at the same time.  Normally I save that undesirable task for the doctor's waiting room.  But there's only one more doctor appointment this year which means it needs to be done at home and SOON because a new rug is calling my name.

Saundra

8 comments:

  1. I love that big rooster with the landscape. It looks like a spring rug, with tulips growing and little chickens, a bird getting in his bird house and a frisky horse jumping over the barrier and the cow with a big udder. I think it's body of water in the background. I love the action in it. Anyway, I see the joy of spring in this rug.
    Thanks for the antique rug show.

    I still have a few rugs that were never bounded. Shame on me.
    I cleaned a few more flowerbeds yesterday but will have a lot of weeding come spring as the weeds were in seeds. Sigh!
    Happy Halloween.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watch the Five Daily...and most of the others that follow. That first rug is truly amazing. All of the fine detail in it. Makes my heart go pitter patter. Cannot wait to see lil lamb. Have a great weekend my friend! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that large rooster! I have seen him before. Still love him. Have never heard of the five.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why that first rug sold for a whopping $18,000 ~ a little out of my budget range.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And we all know how much you love to bind...lol!
    Another great show. TY

    ReplyDelete
  6. So since you know I've tipped my rocker already, in the rooster rug, at first glance, it looks like a critter roasting on a spit in the lower left - haha. Can hardly wait to see your lamberkin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow,,, love rooster,,, and all have a fun appeal,,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love anything with a rooster in it. I do like those cats though. You find such fun rugs. I am always shocked when I don't have a rug to bind. I guess that means I need to get hooking. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.