Friday, November 4, 2022

Old Rugs Live On

The old rugs live on thru us with our replication of the designs.  Wonder what Magdalena would think, or does she know, how her designs have influenced modern day rug hookers?  Old rugs evoke emotions in us, or at least that is true of me.  Could be the design (I do gravitate toward horse and deer rugs) and could be the colors.  

So I'm thinking there are attachments to old rugs which also live on thru the antique rug itself.  A Horse rug measuring 37 x 37 was hooked 1880.  Look at the orb on the inside brown border.
If you have followed me for a while then you know of my posting photos with orbs taken at Cape May and even here at home.  Orbs at Cape May I've thought are part of the hotel and for whatever reason their spirit remains there.  

Then I wonder if the orb at home is a family member watching over me or my guardian angel.  Even blogged a true story about my repair of a thrift shop piece I purchased where there was a scent attached.  To you who have read it my apologies for being redundant but there are new followers and new rug hookers who may not have seen that post.  To read about it click this link:  https://woodlandjunction.blogspot.com/search?q=scent+of+potpourri  
Or perhaps you'll need to copy and paste it in the search box.  If that fails look in March 2012 of the post dates.
 
So perhaps there are spirits who attach themselves to rugs.  Okay, back to antique rugs ....

A delicate floral hooked piece dated 1830 sold for $2,500 in 2012.  Dimensions are 31 x 48.
An Elephant and Castle with tongues was said to be hooked 1850-1880.  It measures 29 x 43.  I read somewhere that years ago elephants were a favorite animal to hook.  Don't think it had anything to do with politics back then tho.
Squirrels and tulips circular rug hooked in the 1900's is 39" in diameter.
You may think I've gone crazy, but something about this next one appeals to me.  Have no idea as to date hooked or dimensions.
The  next one is definitely not one of my favorites by any stretch of the imagination.  But since I found it and an oldie hooked between 1885-1915 here is Bat and Cat measuring 23.5 x 70.   Could be the hooker had a favorite cat who was a good bat catcher.             
A closeup of the cat's head.
And finally, a cat with trapped mouse dated 19th century measuring 12 x 15.  Well there ya go with some unusual pests, cute cats and large animals.
Another mild day and was able to abolish some periwinkle in one area  and do laundry which I hung on the line to dry a little and reduce time in the dryer.  

Happy hooking.

Saundra


8 comments:

  1. The link doesn't work for me as I wanted to read that post again.
    I do think energy is attached to things and some people can feel that energy of those who loved that piece.
    some nice pieces I love the size of the squirl next to the houses. It does feel that way sometimes.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The link didn't work for me either. It says, sorry the page you are looking for doesn't exist. I know some spirits, good or bad attaches themselves to things. I'd rather not have those items in my house, lol...

    It was nice here today but I chose not to work outside and went to do grocery and I took a little nap.
    Tomorrow, I'm off to St. Andrews N.B. for a hook-in. It should be fun. It's an hour and three quarter drive one way. I'm returning the same day. Hope I don't run into a moose.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the other day I was taken aback to a sweet scent in my hall. I do know we have a ghost in our home, but have yet to catch an orb in any pic I have taken thus far. With your latest rugs here, I am fond of both the horse and flowers. I an mot a fan of flowers, but when it comes to a hooked rugs I do love them! Hope you have a nice weekend! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought to scroll down using the above link - it is from March 7 2012.
    I haven't seen any orbs on photos, or noticed unexplainable scents. But I have seen 2 shadows (many years apart) that I think were a couple of cats that died shoot across the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The round rug with the squirrels & the house is really cute ....always fun to see the antique rugs.
    It is balmy here today , trees are becoming more bare by the hour ! My poor husband is sick of trying to keep up with them !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe some antiques capture a kind of energy from previous owners. I read about a collector of quilts who quickly sold one she’d acquired from the 1850s due to bad feelings when she held it/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Saundra, it's me again. I tried the second link and it brought me here but I went into your archives and read the March 7, 2012 post. What an amazing story.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that one , that appeals to me, too,,,,
    Elaine😦😐😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.