Sunday, November 20, 2022

REVERSE HOOKING, DYEING & RESTART

Welcome to the unpleasant side of rug hooking.  Nope, it isn't a badly drawn pattern (a/k/a Mary Mary), it is finding the right colors for the border.  Was sure the light green I had available would work to resemble the antique eagle rug shown below.  
But it didn't meet the mark because what I hooked was too mint green and underwhelming.
So today I dyed some wool and was sure it would work but after it appeared to be more blue and still not good trashed that idea.  Then I went to my milled wool selections and tried this below.  Nope, too dark and overpowering.  Perhaps if I'd used a more yellow/gold wool where mine is mellow this green would have worked.  My fault.
Then went to the wool I'd previously overdyed using the Olde Patina recipe and placed them in the triangles just to see.  Was definitely tired of hooking, reverse hooking and doing it all over again so just placing it there would give me an idea.
Also thought of a grey but don't have enough of that grey in the right eagle and the rest of the grey on my shelves is either too over-powering or not enough of the proper grey.  A gold didn't look right either.

IF there isn't enough of the olde patina dyed wool in my stash it is a dependable recipe and can replicate great results every time.  But as I'm leaving my wool room the question in my mind was...."WWBD" (what would Barb Do)?  Bet she could have immediately chosen the perfect wool if she could find it in my disorganized room.  Dear sweet talented Barb Carroll is still in my mind and heart ~ God Bless you Barb.

OH, I'd also briefly considered reverse hooking the light colored triangles and using a more golden color.  UH, ain't gonna reverse hook all that and eventually end up not liking it with the darker green anyway.  

Soooo, for tonight I'll concentrate on hooking the outward triangles of the border in the same wool and figure out the rest in the coming days.  

Saundra


8 comments:

  1. The eagles are turning out beautifully. I am sure you will come up with the perfect shade of green. It should be perfect weather for working on your beautiful rug. Mary @ Hilltop Post. I forget to identify myself on the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Eagles,,,,alot of work trying colors,,,,
    Love UR palette,,,l,

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading, I was thinking about cross stitchers' floss toss and quilters' fabric toss (or pulls) when figuring out colors, wondering if rug hookers have a wool toss. I guess they do.
    I know your intention was to be making a re-creation of an antique rung, but is it possible that no matter how much you want green, the rug wants a totally different color?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel better knowing that you get frustrated with colors too , even though I consider you a Pro !!!! You will get the colors just right !!! You can do it !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm walking beside you but can't give you any ideas. I'm positive that it will turn up fantastic. One cannot rush this sort of decision.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck and I so hate reverse hooking. UGH Good idea to just place bits of wool there. Good luck choosing the right color. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry your miss Barb but how wonderful that you had some classes with her.
    I do like the old Patina I have reversed hooked the rug I am working on for a Christmas present so many times I am tired of it.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I like what you have hooked in now. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.