Saturday, January 7, 2023

LUCINDA WARD'S RECONCILITIAN QUILT BLOCK HOOK-ALONG

As much complaining as I've done lately wishing I had something new on my frame it was right in front of my face the whole time.  But totally forgot until Kimm (Sheep under Feet)  emailed today and say she "had a hankering for something different..." so she drew out her choice of block design and hers measures 13.5 x 14.

I haven't drawn mine out yet but after she emailed back saying she's enjoying it and hooking in #6 decided I will make mine bigger since I don't enjoy narrow cuts.  Not sure what size mine will be yet because this post needed to be done asap to give readers the opportunity to decide which block they'd like to hook.   

Take a look at this quilt and see if there is anything you'd enjoy working on in whatever size pattern you desire.  Then either you can copy and crop a photo to draw on linen or I can copy and crop a photo to send you to trace out and put on linen.
Initially there were a couple blocks which intrigued me ~ one was the lady carrying baskets and of course the other was the woman on a horse.  Kimm's choice was also the woman on the horse.  

Here are a couple blocks already copied and pasted here for you to think about.  Sorry some photos are a tad blurry but it will work if you print it out and trace it like we did as kids (against a sunny window).  Then enlarge the design and draw on your favorite backing.

NOTE: since this is an antique and in PUBLIC DOMAIN it is okay to copy.  You MAY NOT copy someone else's personal creation.  IF you copy this and even if you make a few changes, credit should be given to Lucinda Ward as an adaptation of her work.  

This is Kimm's and my selection! Woman on Horseback.
Other ideas are Master I am Free.
Woman Carrying Baskets.
Goat with Ice Cream Wagon which has the date Lucinda completed the quilt.
An Eagle representing her husband who was in the military.
Man sitting on Stool.
Soldier Carrying American Flag.
The reason some blocks appear more clear is because I found those on another of my searches for Lucinda Ward's quilt.  The blurry ones are what I cropped and saved.

So think about joining in the fun.  Tonight I'll continue to pull a few loops on the 'forever floral' and in the morning will tidy up that rat's nest around me and draw out my pattern.  So stay tuned.

Saundra




7 comments:

  1. I know you'll be having fun with this one.
    I'll be cheering you on.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally started the other hooking,,,with flower in centre,,,you did last year,,,I am slow,,,,
    But may pic a pic out for my next project,,,,Sounds good and fun to follow ,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!!!!! What inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could see some of the blocks larger .....sounds fun !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun...and I can sense the renewal and excitement in your words about taking on a new project. I, too, like the lady on the horse....and will be looking forward to following along with everyone's progress. I have so much catching up to do hooking and stitching wise.... Sigh. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is the lady on the horse. Wish it was less blurry on my computer. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.