Wednesday, January 4, 2023

January and Magdalena's Goat

The start of early January has been unusually mild, particularly enjoyable since it had been way below normal recently.  The last couple days I've worked in the yard blowing and raking leaves in preparation for the upcoming next rain.

Also drew a Magdalena Goat pattern (29 x 35) for yet another person; this gal is attending a workshop January 11th.  Now I'm wondering if the gal I drew the large one for in December is attending the same workshop.  

Here is Magdalena's original antique which measures 29 x 36.  I'm proud to say I found it while surfing my on-line auction houses and sent Evelyn Lawrence the link for her to confirm it was indeed a Magdalena rug.  
Magdalena's remaining family had confided to Evelyn when they were kids they remembered Goat rugs but none had been found at the time Evelyn was doing research for her book, shown below.  Which makes me wonder if there are more undiscovered Magdalena rugs out there.
The starting bid for the Goat rug was $100 and I watched it increase to the final selling price of $10,000.00.  So someone else knew it's value and the price skyrocketed.

Haven't made much headway on the 'forever floral' so no need to take a photo quite yet, nor have I chosen what to draw as my next project.   At this moment I'm thinking along the lines of a log cabin with a red fox in it somewhere.  

Since I feel like you're getting cheated with just one rug photo thought I'd show  you a couple log cabin rugs I've hooked but still think I'd like to hook another.  Would want the new one to be larger, hooked in #9 cut and  be a rug which is placed in front of my fireplace ~ which I switch out every couple months.

This first one was hooked in 2012 and is a design by Barb Carroll free to hook in one of her books.  I drew leaves instead of flags, redirected the smoke to make the design less tall.    It is hanging in my bedroom.
Rainbow Cabin is another Barb pattern which I purchased from her and was hooked 2016.
This last one was hooked 2014 and is an adaptation of a block from one of Harriet Powers Bible Quilts.  I gifted it to Evelyn Lawrence that year.
Happy hooking.

Saundra


8 comments:

  1. It's very mild here too and it feels like spring. The sun is shining today and the ground is wet.
    You are productive with drawing patterns. I did a little bit of work but haven't been
    much productive today.
    I hadn't noticed before but the lighter color in the front of the goat's belly make his butts look a bit larger, lol.

    A cabin rug might be an easy rug to hook, I haven't felt the pull to pull wool. lol...
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been mild here too , but also very dreary , gloomy, drizzling , depressing days. I need to see some Sun , hopefully this weekend we will .
    I have been busy putting all my Cmas decorations away and hooked Cmas rugs . It makes me sad to put those away .
    Love your Log Cabin rugs and the Bible Quilt.
    Monday I meet with the nice group of rug hookers. We plan on meeting once a month . I am looking forward to that ! I have a small Log Cabin I am planning on starting . I will have to post it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mummy D.... Sorry to read that you are still struggling with your floral and "next to the frame" issues. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't pulled a loop on Santa...or any other rug...since???? So much for having it hooked for Christmas. I really like the crow rug on the cover of the book. I suppose you have hooked that too? We have had 2 days of freezing rain with intermittent snow...so we have definitely warmed up from the past several weeks of -30's...but the ground is still VERY covered in white stuff and the banks don't seem to diminish. I don't remember seeing the sun in a long, long, time. ~Robin~ (The Cranky Crow)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it is like March here but back to normal temps by the end of the week. I has been great keeping the oil man away even though I would love some snow to play in. I love that first rug with the sheep. I have no idea what is next for me I am not hooking as much right now but will be back at it soon I have a witch that needs to be done before Halloween.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't recall ever having hooked a log cabin ;-(
    LOVE that MBE goat rug. Maybe some day...sigh. Too many rugs...too little time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always liked the log cabin one,,
    Rainy here too, and lost most of our Snow!,
    SNOW flurries tomorrow,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, so much I've missed this holiday season! Love the goat rug! That is precious! Amazing what it sold for. I haven't felt like doing much this past few months. We felt crappy just around Christmas and then better. My daughter got married the night before New Year's Eve and it was wonderful but a few days later we felt crappy again. Covid. Not sure if we got it or brought it but so far two other people have tested positive. I just hope everyone gets through it ok. We have cold symptoms but it's a nasty cold. Feeling better each day and our neighbors are keeping us with the essentials. Just wish the weather would get better! It is 36 degrees right now and it's been raining for days. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  8. $10 thousand dollars. Too rich for my blood. Your log cabin rugs are awesome! Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.