Monday, January 2, 2023

NEW OLD RUGS SHOW

One of my daily routines is searching for antique rugs via on-line auction houses and I recently found quite a number of them.   Given a date of 1840 is this chenille shirred dog rug which measures 32 x 47.
Fancy Flowers hooked 19th century measures 34 x 51.  I like that border design too.
This Folky landscape is quite busy and hard to settle the eyes on a definitive motif.  Said to be circa 1900 and measures 36 x 78.  Something about this rug seemed all too familiar so went scrolling thru another flash drive which was full.  Look down below.
So I'm wondering if that was a pattern offered by the Peddlers years ago with colors and design leaning toward the textiles they had on hand.  Interesting eh?  This one below was said to be hooked late 19th or early 20th century and measures 24 x 45.  Perhaps the former rug was used as the model for this newer cleaner version.
Same web site same day I found Big Yellow Cat measuring 21 x 42 and said to be hooked early 20th century.  Again this looked familiar and wondered if it was a rug being re-sold.
Nope, wasn't being re-sold.  This one below measures 23 x 42.  Interesting to see how different people hook the same designs even many years ago.
These next rugs are antique rugs once owned by dearly departed Barb Carroll and will be sold January 19th.   I know this first one as Kinderhook Flower Basket and I hooked an adaptation of it in class with Barb.  The rug measures 27 x 38 and said to be hooked early 20th century.
Another rug up for sale is what friends of Barb's know as Ligonier Duo.  It measures 27 x 39 and was hooked late 19th century.
COLLEEN, thank you for your comments and I wish I could reply to you but sadly you are a "NO-reply Blogger".  You can fix that  just google those words and a few instructions will surface.  Meanwhile, if you contact me thru the EMAIL ME on my blog (right hand side) I'll be able to save your name to my address file and contact you thru that.

Hope you enjoyed the rug show and Happy hooking.

Saundra



6 comments:

  1. Love seeing your rug shows . sad to see Barb Carroll's rug going up for sale though . She must have hooked a lot .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saundra, you are quite knowledgeable when it comes to antique rugs. I like the one with the house and floral border and the last duo cats with its earthy border. I think it has charm.
    Thanks again for all the time you spend on searching for antique rugs for us.

    Grey skies today so I dug up the turkey carcass from the freezer and made a big pot of yummy soup.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have to let us know how much Barb's rugs sell for. Will be interesting if they will command top dollar because they belonged to her and have been hooked so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that they will command top dollar for their own historical value. Rembrandt's & Monet's paintings are not devalued by other artists trying their hand at painting or the many prints of the originals made. In fact, it makes the demand to own one higher. I wonder if you are worried about your own collections getting top dollar, or if you are just enjoying the pieces because they are what you love. I can promise you that is what Barb did.

      Delete
  4. Great mats agajn,,,
    Love the houses on mats,,, wow, thescrappy one is busy,,,, but used what u had,,,
    Elaine😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please share if you can the selling price of Barb's rugs. Love them. Loved reading about these rugs in this post too! Happy New Year! We were in bed before nine on New Years Eve. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.