Friday, January 13, 2023

Antique Rug Show

The most favorite postings of mine and which receives the most visits are ones with antique rugs.  First up is a rug with black chickens and diamond border.  Dimensions are 30 x 47, hooked 1900 and still offered for sale at the moment.
This floral is lovely but too much boring background for me.  No date or size was provided.
Valentine's Day is right around the corner so here are folky hearts measuring 19 x 34 from Manheim, PA (no  date).
Here is a view of the back which shows relatively little fading on the front. 
A rug with tulip border and a blank canvas in the center which could say WELCOME, or last name of the people who live there, etc.  It measures 24 x 36 and hooked early 20th century.
This quirky bird made me chuckle when I found it.  The bird known as a roadrunner was hooked with yarn and measures 11.5 square.  Said to be hooked between 1920-30, you can learn more about the Roadrunner HERE.  Am guessing those plants are cacti; I like this guy!
I have probably shown this Barbara Merry rug before but it is now offered for sale again.  Was hooked early 20th century and measures 27.5 x 46.5.
This is a close up of the roof and it is amazing that each of us probably have all of these wools in our possession and what a perfect roof.
Rug of a brown dog in oval, 24 x 37 and hooked late 19th century.  It is from Sussman's Collection.
Ahhh, now to horses....This rug doesn't quite meet the 'in public domain' date requirement since it was said to be hooked 1935.  But I love it and had to share.  It measures 25 x 45 and has butterflies, birds, rabbit, etc.
Hmm, guess we need a cat rug for our feline lovers...let me see what I can find. Here is an exquisite looking cat with flowers and rather large at 57 x 76.  It sold for $1,650 (date of sale unknown) but was hooked between 1900-1925.
  Whoever hooked this gave this cat a lavish lifestyle for sure and the cat knew it was special.  Well, at least that's what I'm interpreting from the hooked rug.
Okay kids, gonna go back to the Woman on Horseback for another dose, lol.  Then will probably be looking forward to the 'forever floral'.  I truly do like having another small on the side to work on as a change.  But whatever floats your boat you just keep on going on.  Happy hooking.

Saundra



7 comments:

  1. Wonderful rugs as usual. I keep thinking about that latest rug hook-a-long. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing rug show,,,
    Thanks so much,,,Love the roosters,,,,haha,,,,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Road Runner is fun ! I Love the Merry Berry rug and the close up of her roof ....just really like the different wools she used and they look so nice together. Rug shows are always fun to see !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the log cabin is my favorite
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fun show...that roadrunner cracks me up. The tail on that cat looks like my Rajah's...but Rajah wouldn't be just looking at the flowers, he'd be eating them. 😳 Happy hooking. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy the antique rugs but like following your work too. The horses are my favorite- love the brown. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not something I would hook, but love that roadrunner.
    Great Barbara Merry rug.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.