Tuesday, June 6, 2023

BROUGHT OUT THE DYE POTS

It has been quite a long time since the dye pots were pulled out.  Not that I didn't want to dye wool but it is such a pain to pull all that crap out, locate the wool you want to change the color of, choose what recipe to use and see if you have those dyes.  I'm always in need/want of primitive black and have lots of unappreciated (ugly) wool which would be suitable for dyeing primitive black.

Sorry I didn't take a photo of the wool before, but this is the after.  Will tell you the plaid on the left was a grey plaid which turned out nicely.  The middle plaid was mostly green & light plaid, on the right was a putrid pink purple plaid which may have been part of a bargain bag purchase.  I love the bargain bags but am not a fan of pinks and certain shades of purple (sorry Barb).
The dye recipe used called for 1/2 yard wool but am sure I was over that since I didn't measure ~ sometimes I just wing it and hope for the best.  Despite that I'm pleased with the results and never expected them to be total flat black anyway.  Plus it is good to have some variation in a primitive black background unless you are a purist.  Here is the recipe used:

Primitive Black  (using Cushing Dye)
1/16 t plumb
1/4 t Khaki Drab
1/4 t Peacock
1/8 t black  over 1 cup boiling water

Since the pots, spoons and measuring cups are out decided to do more primitive black dyeing and will use the wool below.  The wool in the middle is very similar in color to the over dyed piece on the far right in the photo above.  This time I will measure the wool.
Here are the results of the next two pots of primitive black.  I did use up some of the red & blue plaid on the right  and will save the remainder of it for another dye session.  
I've put away all the dye paraphernalia and for now am over the dyeing bug.  Besides I didn't want to root thru my organized shelves of wool so only chose those which were easily retrievable.

Weather still seems to be rather mild for June and no rain here in a while although weatherman said "maybe" will have a little thunder and rain this evening.

Saundra




8 comments:

  1. I think your blacks turned out great. I really like the ones on the left in particular. When you talk of the process, I am glad that I never gave into the bug. My house was too small to think about doing it before WWR and, after, I realized it is just so much easier to go down the lane. Yeah, I know...it's not the same as doing it yourself, but I have enough "other" mistakes to live with. 😉 Weather finally cooled here...but still in desperate need of rain. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a difference when dyed. Like Robin, am not sure I would ever dye my own, but do enjoy seeing others do it. Still dry here. UGH Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great primitive blacks. I am going to keep your recipe. My goal is to dye more of my own colors. It is getting so expensive to purchase.
    We are wet and smoky from the fires in Canada. We have had rain for quite a few days and more to come.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dye results!
    Cathy is lucky to have gotten rain, but pretty much the rest of the country is in a world of hurt. Poor farmers!!! My friend in southern Ohio said it was gloomy there from the smoke from Canada. My heart breaks for our northern neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dyeing wool when I have time. I always say, it's like opening presents at Christmas. Your antique blacks turned out great and you are so kind for sharing your dye recipe. I have a lot of Cushing dye but I don't think that I have Khaki Drab or Plum. I have Khaki.

    Some parts of Canada is in a drought. I'm sorry for my American blogger friends who are suffering from our forest fire smoke. Here we have been having rain for so long it seems and no sun in sight and more rain to come. We can't even plant all our vegetables yet and I will have to replant my corn as most of it didn't even came out as it was too cold. It's been feast and famine. We are not far from Nova Scotia but so far we have not had the smell of smoke.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blacks turned out great,,,
    Get tge dyeing bug once and awhile now ,, but usually dye a small pot of sock yarn,,, with food coloring,, just for pops of color!
    Dealing with hazy , smokey skys here from the forest fires in quebec,,, just the way the winds are blowing,,, not nice,,, air quality poor, msowith ny asthma not going out much,,!!
    My weeding has got behind again, , and tge temps are cooler,,, oh well,, could be alot worse,,,
    Take care,,, elaine😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW !!!Love how you turned those plaids into Beautiful blacks !!! I have to try to dye all the ugly , ugly wools I have !!!
    No rain here for us either and the hazy smoke has been so strange ...the sky looks so odd .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when you play with the dye pots. It always turns out 😁
    LL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.