Sunday, June 25, 2023

RUG SHOW

Whimsical rug of a man riding a penny farthing measuring  22 x 29.  I'll save you from 'fact checking' the wording or getting the spelling wrong, so you can learn more about those types of cycles HERE.
A shirred wool design from the 19th century.  The stool cover which is very attractive, could easily be adapted to a rectangular or square rug  I think its both the colors and unusual border which grabbed my attention.  

Hearts and flowers; sorry but no date or dimensions were provided.
Horse with triangle and floral border measures 30 x 45 at the Art Institute of Chicago.
Another horse rug 37 x 37 hooked 1880.  But found this one much more intriguing ~ look at the orb on inside brown border above the horse.  Is that the spirit of the person who hooked it?
A cat with sawtooth border hooked late 19th or early 20th century.
And a close up of the bottom right.
Amazing this rug turns me off only because of that putrid purple around the deer.  Otherwise I'd love it.  If only my brain could envision that surrounding color something other than putrid purple. Said to be hooked between 1900-30 Ontario, Canada.
Guess the rug below could be called a geometric floral or would you call those snowflake shapes?  No date or dimensions provided.
American Eagle measuring 36 x 45 hooked mid 20th century.  
Don't have a date or dimensions on this Elk below but I like the primitive style and earthy colors.   Oh, also the botchy light background is a nice switch from the primitive dark blotchy backgrounds.
Ten rugs this time, hope you enjoyed the show.

Saundra

6 comments:

  1. I burst out laughing aloud when I read the man riding a Penny Farthing. lol... I guess I was in a giddy mood. lol. I've never herd of this expression before. It must be because of my French background... But it's a cute rug anyway It's a shame the border is all fraying. I love that last one. It's so simplistic.

    Enjoy this Sunday. It's warm and a bit overcast but the sun is still coming through. I pleasant relaxing day. Hugs.
    Julia



    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fun ones in this group Saundra. I think my favorites are the chair stool, the floral w/ hearts...and the funky elk. So, I wonder if any of these are perhaps in the running for your next work of art?? ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is the last one , the colors are so pretty . But that Purple !!! ICK , putrid is right ! LOL !!! Hot & very humid here , looks like the whole week will be like this ....but have a hooked project I am working on ....will need to post this one ! ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That funky elk is quite cool.
    Penny farthing??? Looked up farthing and it is a coin. Is there some meaning I am not aware of?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that orb!!! yep I believe whomever created the rug must not want to be apart from it...who would? gorgous rug show per-usual my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always fun mats,, to see on ur blog,,
    Thanks,,
    Elaine😐💓

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.