Saturday, June 17, 2023

ANTIQUE RUG SHOW

A floral hooked late 19th century or early 20th.
The rug below looks like delicate fanning flowers and leaves.  Love the blotchy background of this and the one above.
Center star with circle of flowers measures 39 x 41 but no date.
Yarn stitched motifs.  I enlarged it so you can see the stitched detail.
Songbird with hit and miss border & background.  Dimensions are 32 x 36.5 and hooked late 19th century.
Two  Scotties measuring 20 x 31 from the estate of Penny Marshall.
Tree of Life hooked by EL measuring 28 x 39.  What sort of textile do you think is the black and red trim around the edge?  I don't think wool would keep its shape like that ~ interesting.
Below is a close up of date and hooking.
A companion piece hooked by EL of geometric shapes.   This one also measures 28 x 39.
And a close up.
Wish there was a better picture of this palomino pony and more info but this is all I could find.
Happy weekend everyone.

Saundra



9 comments:

  1. Again, love the show. Do you think they meant to make backgrounds blotchy? Or the wool just faded differently as it aged? I've been hooking, but put it away today as having company tomorrow and the mess I make is a bit overwhelmed.b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever thought of taking portions of two rugs and making them into a different one? I like the flowers of the first one and add them to the leaves of the second one. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a finished border like the Tree of Life rug. The other interesting one is the one with the hooked background and the stitched motifs. The palomino pony has a Arizona flair to it. The Scotties is my favorite. Thanks for the antique rug show again...

    I got some weeding and planting done in one flowerbed today, then it began to rain. I wish I could send you some rain. It's cold enough for lighting the wood stove this evening.
    Take care, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy weekend, ,,,
    Love all the colors in the mats,,
    Getting warmer here now,,,
    Elaine😊
    Take care ,thanks for show,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like EL's borders....and quite amazing they withstood time so well. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Tree Of Life is pretty , but how did they do that border ???? Looks like crochet ???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice rugs, I think my favorite is the hit & miss bird. The pony? Or the tree of life? Too big a decision for pre-coffee thinks!

    Speaking of pre-coffee thinks... The trim on the tree of life - it looks to be woven. Would fulled (felled? felted?) woven wool hold together like that? Some parts look too regular in shape for hand cut, other parts not so much. Unless maybe a punch of some sort was used. Then again the odd shaped ones could be from wear & tear. I wonder if it might be some sort of trim for garments or furnishings that we can no longer get?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely rugs! I don't know how you find them but they are so pretty, I love looking at them and wondering what each person was like and where she was at the time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.