Wednesday, June 7, 2023

TURTLE CROSSING

Here's an update on the Eastern Box Turtle situation in my yard.  The other evening around dusk I went outside to bring in my bird feeders and noticed this other turtle resident near the trash cans.  I surmised she was laying eggs since the dirt was disturbed around her.

She was in my walk path but left the turtle alone, grabbed the camera to take a photo and dropped a couple morsels of food for her ~ a small piece of radicchio and a piece of walnut.  FYI, young turtles will eat meat during their growth but when they get older they prefer fruit, vegetables and nuts. 
Next morning when returning my filled bird feeder noticed she was gone but left me a present (below).  Those aren't stones, they're turtle eggs and I'd never seen them in the yard before.  Guess she didn't care for my offering of food as she didn't eat the radicchio or walnut. 
Don't know if the eggs are fertilized or not but since Mrs. Turtle didn't cover the eggs and they were in my pathway decided to move them a few feet and behind my daylilies.  I dug a shallow area and lightly covered them.  Hopefully they had been fertilized and no snake or raccoon will find them.  You can learn more about Box Turtle eggs HERE.
Never a dull moment when living in the woods.  There are a couple rabbits I've seen eating together in the front yard.  Think they live under the front porch, their fur is shedding to create nests with I guess.  So the animal life cycle is ongoing and makes me happy to watch it play out.

No rain again last night, still rather cool for June and the haze from the wild fires is still here.
Have been slowly pulling loops on Scalloped Flowers and will show you an update in a day or so.  Happy hooking.

Saundra



7 comments:

  1. WOW!!! So cool. What is the gestation period? I hope nothing finds them and they hatch ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny the turtle didn't cover those eggs , hope they survive .
    A big snapping turtle laid eggs last week right on the side of the bike path ! She did cover them up , but people put sticks around the area to watch what happens . Those eggs take 80-90 days to hatch ! Fascinating !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a chipmunk chatting at me yesterday. Fist time ever hearing one of them. Sounded like a bird at first, but then I saw it about 4 feet away from me just outside the woods. I love the turtles and hope no animal gets the eggs. Wonder why she did not cover them? Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, how very sweet! I don't think I've ever seen a turtle egg up close and personal. I do hope they hatch. Trade you some box turtles and rabbits for some humungous snakes???? ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was here earlier but didn't had time to leave a comment.

    I too was wondering why the turtle didn't covered her eggs. All kinds of animals would love to eat them for a snack. I hope that they hatch but it will be a long time before they do. I would think that the eggs need to be kept moist and out of the sun.
    Good luck with your little turtles. They 're so cute.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I’ve never seen turtle eggs. Will be interesting to see if they hatch. Wonder how long it takes 🤔
    Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope they hatch!
    Strange shewouldn't bury them,,,,
    Very hazy here this morning,, but dont smell smoke yet, like on tuesdsy!
    No rain either,,,
    We have alot of painted turtles in and aroundour pond,,
    Elaine😊😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.