Sunday, June 11, 2023

RUG SHOW TYME

Want to practice hand torn with soft or earth colors?  That had actually crossed my mind when I saw this primitive tulips rug.  The Tulips were hooked late 19th or early 20th century.  
Something with a little more color is this Stars and Circles rug with vine  border.  Auction house said it was hooked circa 1900, in very good shape and little fading if that is true.  Dimensions are 32 x  56.
A closer look at the left bottom portion.
Shirred landscape from 19th century measures 36 x 75.
A close up of the chateau where you can see the shirring clearly.
A running horse hooked 19th century.
This is an antique pocketbook but the design would make a nice rug.
Same could be said about John Almy's 1747 pocketbook from the Winterthur Museum.
Primitive black cats, it appears to me the rug is oval but mounted on rectangular framing.  Click on the photo and think it will enlarge so you can decide for yourself.   Yet if I were to hook it would do the border just like that.   Dimensions 21 x 39.

A 17.5 diameter chair pad circa 1920.
A folk art recumbent dog measuring 42 x 53.
Below is the original antique Woodland Deer design.
Below is the one I hooked with Barb Carroll in 2009 and this photo is a little dark.
And yet another shot is way too washed out.  Just can't seem to get a good image of the rug.
Well folks, that's it for today's show.  Hope there was a little something to entertain you and get those juices flowing for your next project.  As for me I'll go pull a few more loops on my current project Scalloped Flowers.

Saundra


10 comments:

  1. Lately I have been getting drawn more to flower rugs and these are some beauties! The muted tulip is a winner winner chicken dinner. The horse though is a fine one as well. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzer, these are some great primitive rugs. Some of the backgrounds are just lovely. Years ago i saved a picture of the pink pocketbook with hopes to turn it into a rug. I still plan on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that leaves and vine boarder on a black background but the rest of doesn't turn my crank, I also like the chateau landscape with its soft colors but I don't care for the shirred look.
    I also like the antique pocketbook as an inspiration for a floral and the woodland deers in its original colors. Not to diminish the beauty of your own choice of colors. I may have different opinion if I saw them all in real life.

    Thanks for entertaining us with your antique rug show again. It's sure a great distraction from planting veggies. I think we should call you Saundra,The Queen of Antique Rug Shows. lol...

    Take can my good friend.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant the centre of that rug doesn't turn my crank.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. More great rugs! For a quickish project, that chair pad is once again tempting me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The original deer design and your rendition make my heart flutter. Just awesome. Maybe I’ll learn to date rugs someday, but at this point that eludes me. When I enter mats into our program at the volunteer place, I enter date “unknown.” I did read that very earliest mats were linen, then burlap (sack type) backings we’re used for a very long period. But as for colour fade, if mats were never used they retain it splendidly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those pocketbooks are wonderful! And, yes! They'd translate wonderfully into rug designs. Happy Monday MD. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the shows,,, of mats!!!! Wow,,,,elaine💗

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always great pieces. I love the last one I think I need a bit more color.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.