Sunday, June 4, 2023

MISC. CHIT CHAT

This is the third sighting of turtles returning to my property this year and the smallest so far.  Turtles usually return to their place of birth.  This time I didn't lift the turtle to check if it was male or female.  And didn't notice color of eyes before it retreated inside it's house.  You can watch this YouTube video to learn more about the Eastern Box Turtle.
Also, after my last blog post noticing Santa looking at me (us) immediately rotated the wire basket to face Santa toward the brick wall.  Just not ready for him yet.
Am still plugging along on the Scalloped Flowers adaptation and once hooked will give it a spray or wash of walnut dye to tone down the white and dirty up other areas.  Was too lazy to take it off the frame.
There is still lots of the pattern to hook.  Believe it or not that white is not the brightest white in my stash.  There needed to be a value difference so this was my choice.

I've got some ugly wool on soak and hoping tomorrow (maybe) I'll do a pot of primitive black dying.  I am always in need of primitive black wool!!!!

Saundra



9 comments:

  1. The new rug is looking good. Exactly how to you apply the walnut spray? Just spray it on? Rub it in? You obviously know more about turtles than me. Male? Female? I was 12 before I realized my dad wasn't looking at the bottoms of the kittens feet to tell what sex they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have the turtles returning to your yard.
    You got a lot done on your new rug. I haven't had time or inclination to hook on mine since the hook-in.

    I don't know about your weather but if feels so cold and damp here. Can't even work outside in this wet weather. I'm not complaining as it's been so dry because of the wind and extreme heat and so many forest fires everywhere already this year.

    I hope you see more turtles in your backyard.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did watched the video about the Box Turtle. It looks easy enough to identify weather it's a female or male by looking under the shell and their eye colors. Thanks.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m always needing primitive black too. Do you have a special recipe or do you just use black dye on “uglies”? Wool Studio used to have a dar texture I used for black but I can’t remember what!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh,turtles,,,! They are Busy this time of year,,
    Love UR Mat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we see so many turtles on our walks ...I think they are one of the sweetest animals! love your baskets full of rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The color of the eyes can also determine the sex of a turtle?
    OMG! Sue's comment had DSO and I rolling on the floor ;-)
    Can you share your black dye recipe or is it from a book and a no-no? I almost never get a good blackish color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ....and now is that a witchy hat I see facing us? DON'T turn it if it is...black hats are always in season. 😉🖤 How fun to have the turtles come back. That is one creature I don't usually see in our yard although there are plenty on the roads. The last one we had in our yard was a huge, nasty-smelling, very cranky, snapping turtle. No clue how he wandered up here. Looks like you are making a lot of progress on your rug... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  9. What love to know how to apply walnut spray to rugs. Good luck with your black dye. I am no way going to dye wool yet. I hardly have time for what I need to do now. Have not seen our turtles yet, but we have a snake now. UGH Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.