Tuesday, June 27, 2023

MISC. CHIT CHAT

First subject would be Phase One of finishing Scalloped Flowers which is the hooking part.  It hasn't been steamed yet as I just pulled the last loop around 6 pm this evening.  I started hooking it around May 21st and drew it approx. 23 x 37.5 ~ the finished dimensions change depending on wool strip size, foundation weave chosen and the direction in which the pattern is cut on that foundation.
The rug has not yet been steamed or stained as that will be phase two or three.  Since I'd like to age parts it would need to be sprayed with water on the front and back in a few places then sprayed or painted with walnut dye.  Yes Janice I'll show you a picture of the before and after, lol.

Normally I don't do directional hooking but did so on this one to try give it an aged look.  Yet do regret that small horizontal hooking to the far left middle but am not going to rip it out and do vertical hooking now.

Changing the subject....yesterday morning I did a little weeding, pulled up future unwanted infant trees and other weeds.  I wore gloves and upon coming into the house washed my hands.  This morning when I woke up there was a crusty area under my bottom lip.  WTH?  So I washed it off ~ it didn't itch but the oozing was reminiscent of poison ivy.  OMG!!!!!!  No way!!!  Was something out there poison ivy, oak or whatever?  How did my under lip come in contact with poison leaves???

Doctors have told me I'm so allergic to poison ivy that I could become infected just by leaves floating in the air from burning or grass cutting.  
Today I used alcohol (no not good wine, lol) to rub on it and then applied the anti-itch solution.  But it hasn't itched.  I've changed my pillow cases and will go thru this regimen again before bedtime then cover the chin area with bandages.

BTW, in case anyone ever notices Robin's (Cranky Crow) comments referring to me as "MD" it is because one year I had so much poison ivy all over that I went to bed with long sleeves, wore cotton gloves and tied a small cotton scarf around my neck as it was there too.  I felt wrapped up like a mummy, therefore the name 'Mummy Dearest' was born.

Sadly I have not YET found anything for my next project.  I've checked previous 'wanna be' patterns and am no longer enthused.  Went to my favorite PDF pattern sellers and don't see anything.  Heck, there's already an abundance of pdf patterns here by my favorite designers already but I'm so fickle my mood changes.

But I've still more to do with finishing Scalloped Flowers and will be content with that task and then the binding.  HUH??  Did I really type that??  While binding is not my favorite thing to do I'm looking forward to seeing it finished completely.

Sorry this post was so long.. that is if you made it this far, lol.  Happy hooking.

Saundra



10 comments:

  1. Wonderful as always. I sure hope you don't have poision ivy. I am looking forward to your next project.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice rug, I have a hard time seeing the area you aren't happy with even with making the photo larger. It must be one of those things that doesn't photograph well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rug looks just right and that directional hooking just gives it character.
    I got into some poison weeds accidentally about a month ago while weeding. I never encountered any poison weeds in that small area before. I had gloves on but some small weeds must have touched my wrist and arm and I had blisters and itch for days after. I didn't noticed it right away. I hope that you didn't get into poison Ivy.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no on the poison ivy. I hope it goes away soon for you. Thanks for letting me know you will show before and after pics. :-) Appreciate it. I also agree with Julie on the directional hooking...just makes it give much more character. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh No Poison Ivy !!! I never got it until last year ....my dermatologist had given me some cream to put on mosquito bites , I get big red bumps that itch like crazy now from them . When I saw her this year she told me it works great on Poison Ivy too , I got a few small patches a few weeks ago & it worked great ! I put it on 3 times a day & it never bothered me ! I will let you the name ....
    Your rugs look beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You hooked that rug quickly. Can't wait to see it after you have aged it.
    I can't believe you don't have your next project already on linen with a few loops pulled.
    Thanks for the MD update. I truly had forgotten the story.
    Hopefully no poison ivy. This is the first year in several that I have not gotten it. I think my neighbor killed the vines that were creeping through her fence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoever took our Mummy Dearest, we're on to you - return her ASAP!! No way you don't have another rug in que!! That's definitely not in character. As I said, bring back our Mummy Dearest! Anywho - that rug was hooked in record time. I'm proud if I get one hooked in a year LOL. Eeek on the lower lip stuff. I can empathize with the hypersensitivity to poison ivy. When I was little, I caught it just because my sister had some in a bouquet of wild flowers she brought in. My mom made her take it out immediately and wash thoroughly but I got it - head to toe - anyway. For years I had to get shots each spring. Then I guess I outgrew it. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always your rug is beautiful. I understand your search for a pattern for your next piece.
    I am sorry about the poison ivy. It’s nasty stuff. I hope it goes away quickly. Mary @Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Janice on wanting to see before and after patterns. No inspiration for the next project eh? There's always the duck 😂 (Waving a white flag here - heehee).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saundra, hoping this stays on the lip then goes away fast. Ugh. I like this rug the scallops are fab. I too like a line up of rugs to hook. One must-do is a turkey pattern by NotforgottenFarm. I love turkeys. I only have 2.5 feet of my 7 foot rug left but I’m tiring of it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.