Tuesday, May 23, 2023

RECENTLY FOUND BEM and NGS RUGS

Barbara Merry was prolific hooker whose primitive style was thought to be antique.  I've posted several of her rugs on my blog and if you type her name in the search box they will come up.  I knew her name was Barbara E. Merry but didn't know until recently her middle name was Evelyn, or at least according to the antique auction site info.  

Farm scene with hay wagon, 32 x 39.5.
Here is her Farm Village measuring 35 x 43.
Men sapping trees.
This may have been an adaptation of her barn red home in Maine, a red house winter scene.  It measures 20 x 31.
In previous posts I've mentioned Barbara had a daughter named Nancy who also was a rug hooker.  About the same time finding Barbara's new ones I found these rugs for sale.  
For those of you who may not have read my previous posts, as a child Nancy remembers Jamaicans working on her parents' farm, thus the reason she hooks many black people as they were part of her daily life.   
Another of Nancy's earlier rugs and measures 16 x 34.
A row of houses with 2 chickens measuring 28 x 42.  You can see the camouflaged initials of NGS at the bottom right.
This rug below shows Nancy had honed her hooking skills and changed the signage from NGS to N Scott.  Farm children measuring 30 x 36.  
And yet another improved hooking style.  A farmer holding Pitchfork 31 x 37 from the estate of Laura Fisher, NY.
Hope you enjoy my vintage rug posts.  Happy hooking.

Saundra

11 comments:

  1. These were fun to see !!! I love how she hooks houses ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful that you got pictures of her daughter too.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pot of mother and daughter rugs! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can certainly tell they were mother and daughter! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed looking at these rural landscapes of these two rug hookers. I can definitely see the improvement in Nancy's hooking skills.
    Thanks for the great rug show.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love barbara merry mats,,,
    So unique,,,
    Thanks saundra,,
    Elaine😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like mother, like daughter. I love the primitive style of both, but can't help being drawn to Nancy's buildings and figures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Nancy’s daughter and Barbara’s granddaughter. Both of these wonderful women have passed away. - Sharon Clark

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am Nancy’s daughter. Both of these wonderful women have passed away. My mom- 3 years ago and my grandmother passed last year at the age of 100.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.