Sunday, May 14, 2023

RUG SHOW for MOTHER'S DAY

Here is a bouquet of flowers measuring 26 x 35 and hooked in the 1800's.  I often see flowers in baskets and bowls but don't recall any in a pitcher which makes this special.
Stars and Hearts dated 1911, the same year as the horse rug I'm hooking.
Home sweet home, and obviously the hooker was a gardener as you can see flowers outside surrounding the home and in the house at the windows.
The information on the horse rug was that it is yarn sewn and hooked from Nova Scotia circa 1850-1860.  Dimensions are 28 x 59.
Have had this photo of a tattered Jumbo the Elephant since 1921 so think it's about time I posted it even tho it may not be anyone's ideal rug.
An optical illusion ~ when you first look at this rug below do you see stars or blocks?
Sweet cat rug measuring 22 x 33, no date attributed.
A very primitively drawn and hooked dog with hit and miss border, 35 x 51.
Carriage House landscape measuring 17 x 27 and previously owned by Penny Marshall.
A very soiled hooked Clipper Ship measures 33 x 50 and hooked 19th century.  The Tall Ships visit Delaware beaches for tours every so often.  They are a sight to behold.
There ya have it for today's show and Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there.  Enjoy your day.

Saundra



9 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day to you~ loverly rug show per usual my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day!
    Love that second rug dated 1911.
    I saw blocks...until you asked which we saw, and now I just see stars in that rug.
    Enjoy your day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY Saundra. Thanks for the great rug show again. I really like that Carriage House landscape. You know me and details, lol... It's a beauty.

    That poor Jumbo elephant one looks quite fragile.

    I love that Clipper ship one too. It might be soiled with cigarette smoke as most likely people smoked indoors and everything would turn brown, including the walls, ceilings and draperies. It's too bad because it's a beautiful piece of history.

    I immediately saw stars and then blocks. It's a lovely geometric rug.
    Thanks for the rug show once again.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day Saundra !!!
    Another Fun rug show !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I so dearly love that pitcher with the flowers. I agree very different. Happy Mother's Day! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day Mummy Dearest. Fun show as always. My favorites are the clipper ship and poor, dear, Jumbo. He would have looked fantastic in a nursery. Hope the day has been good to you. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first see stars when I look at that mat! I love the pitcher of flowers best as well as Jumbo. Vintage sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a little late but happy mothers day grear rug show as always
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belated moms day!! Thanks for show,,
    Wow,, love that first one,,, flowers and jug,,,,
    They are all amazing, ,
    Elaine😊😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.