Sunday, December 31, 2023

RUGS HOOKED IN 2023

To my followers I wish all of you have a happy and healthy New Year.  For America I pray for a safer way of life for all of us on our streets, towns and cities.  

I will welcome the new year in as usual, behind closed eyes.
As much as I hate for this "forever floral" to be the first rug shown it was the first rug hooked in 2023 so must start with it.  It was given that name because it seemed to take forever to finish the damn thing.
Since I'd always wanted to hook a block from Lucinda Ward's Reconciliation Quilt the one chosen was, of course, the Woman on  Horseback. 
Janice of Prims by the Water joined me in the project and you can see hers develop HERE.

Also on my frame was an antique star rug which was fun and will be something to display during patriotic holidays.  It started as my 'plus one' and something to hook while deciding on what to do next.  Must say it was a LOT of fun.
Oh my, be still my heart.  Around March/April I fell in love with an antique 1911 Horse.  At the moment it is being displayed in front of my fireplace for my enjoyment pleasure.
Scalloped Flowers was next and hooking those repetitive squiggly lines did get rather boring.  What was fun was hooking the directional blotchy background.  It will be a nice rug to display in the spring when I'm looking for buds to develop anywhere in the yard.  
Geometric Garden, an antique adaptation, followed soon after.
Another of my 'plus one' or impromptu quick hook on the side, was an adaptation I dubbed "Going in Circles".  What a great way to pull strips from those baggies of color already cut.  And do love the blotchy background.
At rug camp with Caroline I started Lollipop Flowers, an antique adaptation.  I love it, sure turned out wonderful!
Next was my 1776 Eagle which I'm still in love with.  The original antique took quite a remake to get to this stage.
Sadly my sheep who lost its way won't be finished this year.  She will be the first one finished in 2024 tho.  It was started in November and most all wool in the sheep was removed and rehooked as well as what was hooked of the purple border.  This photo is the first time I've looked at it on my pc in weeks.  

Lauren, I miss quoted the dimensions, it is 26 x 40.  Not sure what I'll do with that snake looking area below but in the original antique it is a very light color and I don't want that.                           
For me and those who can't remember what the antique looked like, here it is for comparison.  The outer border in the antique is light and I made mine dark and added it to the already dark  ~ that's why my black border is so large.
What's next you're wondering?  Not quite sure since I don't have a plus one on the side right now.  But do have an antique in mind for 2024, UH, unless I change my mind.

Saundra

                                                                                                                                                                            

10 comments:

  1. You've been a busy hooker my friend. Beautiful finishes and impossible to choose a favorite...although that sheep....that glorious sheep...is eeking up there to the top for me. Then comes Lollipop, Going in Circles and the Eagle. You're so very talented. Not to mention prolific. Happy New Year. Any black-eyed peas this year? (or whatever weird thing it was you ate for luck??) ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! You are amazing the amout of work you produce and the quality
    Is truly awe inspiring!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Loved looking at all of your fantastic rugs of 2023. Cannot wait to see the ones you do for 2024. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new Year!
    Wow,,,you got alot done last Year!
    They are all amazing,,,
    I just counted up my socjs for 2023,,,,40 pairs !
    Same as last year,,,
    Look forward to more of UR mats,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! Your collection of rugs is so nice. I know I finished more than I showed on my blog today, but just didn't want to dig them out. I hope you have a lovely start to this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year !!! Love your 2023 hooking projects !!! I think I might try Hooking In Circles for my coffee table and do the blotchy background ! Will be fun to see what is next up on your frame !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so sure I left you a comment, but I don't see it. Oh, I am losing my mind.
    Anywho...I know I said, "HOLY HELL, WOMAN. THAT IS ALMOST A RUG A MONTH!".
    I can't decide which is my favorite. Either Lollipop Flowers or 1775 Eagle. I love them both...but none of the rugs are too shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year dear Saundra. I'm lagging behind in checking up on blogs again today. You've been a very industrious woman with all the rugs you've hooked this year. I can't believe how productive you've been.

    No one can hold it against you for not finishing the sheep. I must say, your sheep rug colors are way more pleasant to look at than the original.

    Wishing you all the best for 2024.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You really had quite a productive year. I love all your rugs, but the 1776 Eagle has to be my favorite. I also wish you the best for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say, out of all of these beauties, the Geometric Garden is my personal favorite...oh, the possibilities with this rug! yours is beautiful :)
    Happy New Year to you!
    Lori from Notforgotten Farm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.