Monday, November 2, 2015

How to Hook a Square Corner for Newbies

Actually it isn't just for newbies because I didn't learn this until I'd been hooking for a while.  Sometimes a design tells me to have a curved corner.  Such as this hit and miss circle mat I hooked.
But when you want the corner square there is a bit of an unknown easy step.  Forget all the sharpie changes in border line drawings......Here is a picture of an edge row at the top of my challenge rug.  I hook one hole beyond the hooking lines of the design.
Then when I continue down the left side my next loop is pulled up in one hole inside where the edge should be.  That gives a nice squared off corner because of the direction of the loops.
Below is an example of before and after I knew this valuable information of a very simplistic technique.  If you click on the picture to make it bigger you will see that some of those geometric designs are squiggly and irregular.  THEN, there are some which have sharp and crisp edges.  Yupper, that is the before and after I learned how to make sharp corners.  
Have a great evening folks.  Temperatures mild today and tomorrow is better.  Wish I could afford the time to cut (mulch) leaves in my huge yard but the countdown is on preparing to leave for rug camp.  Did manage to rake some leaves today but other chores are beckoning me now.

Saundra

9 comments:

  1. Can you believe I've never hooked a rug with rounded corners? I better put that on my list.
    That is a great small rug to use up a few worms. They multiply at night, you know?
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saundra,
    I always appreciate your "words of wisdom" and your willingness to share them!!! Have fun preparing for rug camp!!!
    Warm Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. Have a fun time at camp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how long we have hooked it is good to get some direction.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great points for anyone at any level !
    Forget the leaves - go prepare for camp !!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your geometric rug, I think that would drive me crazy to hook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Cammie. Love the rug but too many corners for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tip--its never to late to learn something new

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great tip Saundra. I'll remember that next time I hook a square corner.
    I'm still binding and whipping my hit and miss rug and I'm getting closer to the finish. Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.