Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thinking About The Next Rug

'Tis true, with 2 rugs not completely hooked and the Challenge rug ready for binding am already thinking about the  next one to go on my frame.  Hey, a hooker needs to be prepared, right?   

During the winter months it is fun to either challenge myself or work on a rug which I know exactly how I want to hook it.  My thoughts now are wanting to hook a piece with a variety of textiles like our foremothers used to do.  

Since I have been a dollmaker have loads of homespun, calico and other fabrics including velvet.  Some of that velvet is cotton and some is a man-made fabric.  For sure it would require washing the velvet to get the sizing out and make it more flexible.  Am thinking of cutting quarter yards of various colors and putting in a pot of Rit tan dye to tone it down a little.  

Here are a few of the velvets in my stash.  And YES, I see the orb in the fabric on top far right.  Even went upstairs to check the fabric to be sure there wasn't a mill print or stamp on it.  Nope, an orb and not sure if it is associated with the house or with that particular piece of fabric and can't remember where I purchased it....maybe the thrift shop.
Before I decide to dye or not to dye would need to find a vintage pattern suitable to give me an idea of which textiles, including velvet. Am thinking of hooking a mostly neutral rug like Jayne Hester would hook.  I wouldn't use velvet exclusively, wool and cottons would be included to make it look old.  This is something I'd really like to try on my own first then later go to a class and learn how to do it right. A Jayne Hester class is definitely on my list!!!!!

If any of you have dyed or hooked with velvet would love to get your input.  Can a cutter be used, does it need to be torn, can a #8.5 strip be used or cut wider?  Am certain that for cottons it would require a wider rip than 1/4" and guessing velvet would be normal cut.

Also, if any of you are interested in joining in a challenge using a design of your choice that would be fun too.  Of course still need to finish these other pieces hanging in the wings.

For those of you who have been reading my blog for a while you already guessed that I'd end up changing the foot of that dog....yup; you're right.  Here is a picture of the update and still not bound.
However, binding will begin at my son's house on Thanksgiving day as he cooks, and his wife Cathy is perusing the papers to schedule her Black Friday venture with her sister and niece after dinner.  Nope, I'll not be part of that craziness.  

Have a great evening everyone.    OH!!!!!!  I know that I've followers, and thanks to the new ones who joined.  BUT.... IF you want my blog posts sent to you by email look just below the "Followers", there is a box where you can enter your email address and the posts will come to you automatically via email.  OR, you can email me and I'll add your name in that section for you.

Again, have a great evening and a Happy Thanksgiving with family and friends.

Saundra

9 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see a rug with fabrics. I have seen some old ones and they held up well.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saundra, I have used cotton velveteen and can report that it goes through the cutter fine, but that it gives you fiber shreds on the edge. Just so you know. I worked it into a rug that had mostly wool but it gave a nice accent. No big deal. Would love a challenge rug. Feeling a little unfocused so bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dogs better. Now I'm looking at the dogs and not the brown feet.

    You new rug sounds like a great adventure. Good luck with this latest project. I'm looking forward to seeing you work on it.

    Hugs, :~0
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, the new foot is better. You just can't help yourself, can you? Always tweaking. Lol. Happy thanksgiving to you. Perhaps I will celebrate with you in spirit by over-eating one day. Oh, who am I kidding, I do that most days. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have hooked with fleece and most can not tell by looking that it,isn't wool. Would not suggest it for a floor rug tho. Will be curious to,hear about this new adventure.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the orb is interesting. I will look forward to the new rug for sure.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one prolific hooker! Love the doggies. Have a wonderful day with your family.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've hooked with velvets, really a nice texture, but a bit messy…at least mine made bits of snippets while using it ~ the orb could be a deceased hooker coming back for her wool? hoping she is friendly of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a box of velvets waiting upstairs! I will be watching & waiting! The dyeing part interests me, as mine need toned down too! Sounds like a good project for the new year. Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.