Monday, November 30, 2015

The Acadian Frame

Tomorrow will be December 1st.  Doesn't seem like it has been a year since last year's holiday season ~ yet right now it seems like light years away from rug camp with Barb Carroll next May 2016.  Time sure has a way of sneaking up on us tho.

Each December I treat myself to some nice special gift.  I am usually quite generous to myself since it includes my December birthday as well as Christmas.  One year it was an iPad, another year a Townsend Orbiter floor frame (for big rugs), another year a Garmin GPS, well you get the idea.  

This year I was contemplating purchasing the Acadian Rug Hooking Frame.  Must admit I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many frames I have but they each have their purpose.  

Last May while at Barb's camp someone was using her frame and Barb raved about how she loved it.  I had my own frame and didn't even think about trying it out then but did take a couple pictures of the Acadian Frame.  It is obvious in the photo there is a swivel ball so the frame tilts and rotates.  Not sure if it adjusts to height or not but in the picture below wonder if the inside dowel rotates, which would make for smooth rotating movement.
I love my Snapdragon frame top but have an issue with the two floor stands when traveling to camps.  My Snapdragon is nice working at home on my sofa which sits low while using the K's Creations Big Foot floor stand which you see below.  But with use over time the movement has cut grooves in the metal rod.   So when I take it to camp and adjust the height of the floor stand the frame drops down and settles into those same grooves cut into the rod at the position is it used at home. A very annoying and combative fight continues during the entire duration of the camp.
K's Creations Ball and Socket BIG FOOT Floor Stand Best for Balance on SD Frames
I also have an old Rughooking 101 floor stand which is higher but as you can see by the height of the Snapdragon frame, it sits higher on the other stand and a bit too high for a nice working position.  However, it is better than bending over to the low position on the other stand at camp.

I've emailed Cindy, who does not have a web site, and asked her the questions about adjustment.  Here is also some information posted on Cindy Gay's blog which even has a couple personal reviews on how it works.   
So what is a girl to do other than continue looking for the perfect frame. I'm hoping the Acadian Rug Frame will be the answer and hope that I don't weaken and buy it before next May when I try it out at Barbs.

Another option I guess would be to buy another K's Creations floor stand but at $179 that could be applied to another whole new frame.

Enjoy your last day of November as December rolls in after midnight tonight.

Saundra

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you treat yourself right when it comes to gift giving Saundra - as it should be! LOL This frame looks like a really nice one - I own three (plus a mini with grippers for needle punch) and should probably stop buying anymore! Look forward to seeing what you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use any lap frames or only floor stand frames?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an Acadian frame. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I have a lot of frames, the Acadian is by far the best, all my friends also love it!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad you treat your self nicely. I don't know any thing about that frame.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Saundra,
    You certainly deserve to treat yourself to a lovely new frame!!! I just checked them out and they look and sound fantastic!!! Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to you!!!
    I will look forward to your review of it in the future!!!
    Hope you have a great week!!
    Warm Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete


  6. I'm so glad you are so good to yourself. You may have lots of frames but you also hook a lot.

    I have a K Creation Octagonal swivel frame that also tilt on a floor base which I wish I hadn't bought now. I got it through Gene Shepherd as he recommended it. It would be better if it was a rectangle as most of my rugs are either square or rectangle. It's so hard hooking the corners. I love the fact that it swivel but mine seems to get loose very quickly. I have heard this complaint from other rug hookers. I would not buy another K Creations frame for that reason.

    If I ever retire, I want to treat myself to a Snapdragon frame, providing I still hook rugs by then.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen Julia, Same issues with my Octagonal frame. But I have a new Townsend frame and I am a very happy hooker. Not sure what I will do when I need to hook a small rug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be a VERY good girl!!!
    December??? How did that happen?
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that frame. A friend of mine had it at camp and showed it to me. Really beautiful workmanship. Someday maybe......I know what you mean. I think I have two frames, both are used for different things. But I can't find the PERFECT frame yet. If you buy, can't wait to hear your review. Hope you and Ben had a beautiful Thanksgiving.

    hugs
    CIndy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.