Sunday, September 4, 2022

Antique Rug Show

It's  time for another antique rug show rather than bore you will another update of the two rugs in progress or photos of my work outside.  However I will tell you about my wasted time outside this morning.   Had high hopes for the product I purchased to wash my back deck since I didn't need any special equipment other than my hose and the product (Mold Armor) with its own hand held sprayer system.   I donned my face shield, rubber gloves, old clothing and went to work.

The instructions said to spray an area, wait 10 minutes and rinse.  No instructions on brushing but that if the staining was still there to re-spray.  Well, I did that and the wood didn't look 'like new' as indicated.  Yes the deck is in a shaded area so does get the mold stains.  Guess I might have to bite the bullet and hire it done but gawd knows what the cost will be with everything else going up in price.

Okay, now to the fun stuff....antique rugs.  Up first is Tree with Birds which sold for $9,375 and measures 34 x 48.
A Cat rug said to be hooked around 1910 is cotton on burlap measuring 26.5 x 41.  Considering she had limited colors she did a great job with the striped background and striped cat.
This is the back of the rug and the flowers don't appear to be too faded
A corner and close up of the textiles use.
Just love this Flower Basket, an Ontario rug dated 1920-30.  The front...
...and the back.  It has nice colors, not too bright or gaudy. 
This is one block of an embroidered carpet by Zeruah Higley Gurensey dated 1832-35.
Another block of the same embroidered carpet but with dogs as the subjects.
And the entirety of this work of art which measured 12' x 12' 6".
Starry Night hearth rug circa 1830 sold for $7,500 indigo blue background.
Well there you have today's post.  And now it is time for me to cut and serge linen so I can draw another rug pattern.  Will save the drawing for tomorrow as it is just about wine O'clock. 🍷

Happy hooking.  Saundra

 GOD BLESS AMERICA





        

6 comments:

  1. Wow! The 12'x12' 6" rug is quite a large rug. The individual patters would make lovely rugs on their own. I was wondering if it was a wedding gift because of the two people featured in one square. I bet it must weigh a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOOAA! That embroidered masterpiece is one kind of AMAZING! Holy heck....I cannot begin to fathom how long that would have taken. And the split stitch embroidery shown in the close-up of the cat is really well-done. I almost wonder if it wasn't a joint effort of some sort. And the 4 squares on the far left with the sawtooth border stand out specifically. Then again, that size makes me think this was not done for some small room/wall/bed....so probably someone of privilege worked it...and, of course, they would have much more leisure time at their disposal. I wonder...I just wonder. Completely gobsmacking piece in any event. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow , that 12 foot rug is incredible ! Has to be so heavy !!! Lots of pretty old rugs !!!
    Maybe someone you know has a power washer & could clean your deck for you ....Hope you can pull some loops this Labor Day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your deck cleaning did not work out. Another fine rug show! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant so sad it did not work out. DUH Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!the birds and tree is stunning with the hit and miss!!!
    And the big ,huge one,,,OH my,,,a work of art !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.