Tuesday, September 20, 2022

MY PAST CAPE MAY RUGS

This is the second week of classes for Rugs By The Sea rug camp which I'm not attending this year.  In a previous post I showed rugs hooked with various teachers ending with the year 2011.  If you missed the post or want to revisit, you can see those rugs HERE.  

Now will continue with the rug hooked in 2012 with Bev Conway.  I'd wanted to hook this pattern for a while and was happy to finally have it on a frame with wonderful Bev Conway as the teacher.  The pattern name is Wee Folk, a design by Vermont Folk Art Rugs.
In 2013 I took a class with Diane Stoffel and hooked my departed girl Shadow.  That was a stressful 5 days because I'd dyed enough wool for my girl but her head was drawn larger than real life and ran out of wool.  So we went looking thru other teacher's wool to find something suitable.  Diane is a wonderful teacher and artist for sure.  But was a lesson to me to take fun things to class as rug camps are supposed to be fun.  I love my girl Shadow and see her every day to remind me of her wonderful spirit.  She was hooked in #8. 
My rug design named Ali Katz was hooked in 2014.  Since Ali Strebel was my teacher that seemed like a perfect name for my rug. 
The following year (2015) was fun hooking a design named Nantucket Broom Ride in a class with Kris Miller.  Every time I look at this rug I'm reminded of the wonderful class with Kris and following communications with departed friend Barb Carroll.
Guess you could call me a 'groupie' because the next year 2016 I was in a class with...uh, you guessed, it Kris Miller!  I hooked another Lori Brechlin design called Do Goode, Be Nice.  And used a skeleton key instead of hooking it.
In 2017 I had my first class with Cammie Bruce.  She had a short class on 'primitive' rugs which blew my mind.  Was so glad she had that class as it changed my attitude since there are so many variables which decide primitive. Anyway, I'm getting away from the subject of rugs hooked at Cape May..... M
y pattern was a design by Bev Conway called On the Loose. 
I feel the need to explain the next rug hooked 2018.  I'd been given a design by a friend designed by Nola Heidbreder called Golden in the Garden.  I wanted to change the dog to my Rottweiler Ben and didn't have an idea on color planning other th
an the dog.  Before camp  I hooked Ben to have that part out of the way.  It was unfair to Lucille but I knew what colors Ben was and needed help with color planning the rest of the rug.  

BTW my drawing of him was way out of proportion and look forward to having another class with Lucille in the future with a proper primitive rug.
To put my beautiful boy in better perspective here is a profile I drew and hooked him from a photo in #8 and #8.5 later at home.
OMG, 2019 class with Kris Miller was a hoot.  Even more fun and fond memories than years before.  In that class I hooked Oh Glorious Day.  If you'd like to get all the behind the scenes about that class you can find it HERE.
Rug Camp was cancelled 2020 due to Covid but I hooked 17 rugs and mats that year.  Won't bore you with those photos here but if you followed me you would have seen them.

Last year, 2021, I was in Bev Conway's class where I hooked Stacked Birds, a Margaret Shaw design.
Wherever you are hope all your loops are perfect.  Happy Hooking.

Saundra






7 comments:

  1. All the rugs are amazing, but Wee Folks is by far my favorite...no offense to Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your rugs ! Especially your special dogs .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my loops are not perfect but so glad to be making them again.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful rugs and beautiful memories I'm sure. I don't think I recall seeing your Ali Katz previously. You nailed the style...love it! And you know I love your dog portraits...but my personal favorite is Nantucket Broom Ride. Just love Lori's whimsy. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what beautiful rugs! This time I am having trouble choosing, but guess I will go with Stacked Birds...love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all beautiful rugs and it's always a pleasure looking at them now and then. You have so many rugs, I don't know how you keep track of the all.

    It's been raining and I've made 25 pints of salsa yesterday and 19 pints of beet pickles today. Tomorrow, I'll be making some more Lady Ashburnham pickles, since I have more orders for them. I sold all my jams and pickles at the Farmers Market last Saturday and we still have a Bazaar coming up in October.
    I want to pull loops again.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. All wonderful rugs, but I must admit that one with the animals on their bikes made me smile! Such a fun sweet one. I also loved your tribute ones. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.