Tuesday, September 13, 2022

My CAPE MAY HOOKED RUGS

Since I'm not attending Cape May this week or next week thought I'd show you rugs hooked in classes with various teachers at that venue.  Actually my very first rug camp was April 2003 in Ocean City, MD but this blog post is about rugs hooked at Rugs By The Sea.

In 2003 and my first year at Cape May was with teacher Patsy Becker when I hooked Eat Crow, a design by Anne Hallett.  My last name was different then thus the SS initials.
While at that camp and soaking up anything rug related noticed the class being taught by Bev Conway beside me.  In 2004 she was my teacher and hooked her design Pineapples and Flowers.
I'm drawing a blank on what rug was hooked 2005 at Cape May or which teacher I had.   So will show you rugs which bring no memory of teacher, only hooking at home.  Yet I know for a fact I was there.   Fluted Basket is a design by Karen Kahle and was a free pattern insert in a RHM.
Another Karen Kahle pattern hooked that year was Stop and Smell the Roses.
Tonya Robey was the designer of this whimsical lion hooked that year also.  It was a kit and came with Tonya's overdyed wool.
Anyway..... 2006 in a class with Bev Conway I hooked her Rufus the Lion.
In a Lucille Festa class 2007 my project was 1847 Turkey from the Needl'love booklet.  Notice just the initial "S" appears as the signage.  That is because I was in limbo, going thru a divorce and hadn't received court documents to take back the last name of my deceased husband.  OH, perhaps that is why I don't recall which rug or which teacher I had in 2005 ~ that was the year with lots of turmoil, health scare due to stress and life decisions to make.  So there was no room in my brain to store happy memories.
Cape May 2008  I asked permission from Brenda Gervais to hook her Herb Angel needle punch design.  She granted it so printed her email permission and took it with me to camp.
The following year (2009) it was yet another class with Bev Conway and  hooked her pattern Speckled Hens.  The original design had the chickens sitting on one huge egg but I wanted them sitting on straw.
Although a poor copy, below is what the original design was supposed to look like.  Naturally I had to change it.
2010 was my first class with Kris Miller and I drew this antique adaptation of a Stag.  If I were to do it over again (which I won't)  there would be less background and would draw the motifs a little closer together.
The following year in another class with Kris at Cape May I hooked Barb Carroll's July Cabin.  The pattern is in one of Barb's books and I drew leaves where the original design had small flags.  Also changed the direction of the smoke so the design wouldn't be as tall.
There are still a few years' rugs from Cape May to show but will save them for next time when there is the second week of classes at Rugs By the Sea camp.

In other news......see that black slithery thing on my front porch?  It was time to ride the bike and get the mail but I wanted to watch the black snake.   Sadly the camera was on the wrong setting and didn't realize it until just now so it doesn't show up well.

Anyway it slithered down to the ground at that point then went to the garage to get the bike.  The garage door went up so far and stopped so figured a leaf had blown in from outside.  Nope, it was the snake who was slithering in.  It saw me and quickly hid under the shelving.  When I returned with mail it wasn't where I'd seen it last and who knows where it is now.
Thunderstorms came thru last night but is nice and sunny today.  Hot but not as humid.  
And it's mail time again.  Happy hooking.

Saundra




6 comments:

  1. I do not like snakes I know they have a purpose but ick!!! Wonderful rugs through the years. I know you must be missing it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved perusing and reading all about your rugs. Did not like the snake though. My nephew in North Carolina has Black Snakes, and he had one under his house. We have Fox and Garter Snakes in our yard and I hate seeing them...but with the woods nearby they come in. We are supposed to call our DNR when we see a Fox Snake because they are protected here, but I am not going to catch one to save for them. No not me. LOL Kudos on all of your rugs. You are such a talent! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun it is to go back and see all those beautiful rugs you hooked by the sea.
    My favorite one is Rufus the Lion. There's just something about him, maybe his eyes but he tugs at my heart.

    I looked for the signature S and I found it cleverly hidden.

    I'm not fond of snakes and that long black snakes may be hiding in your garage. I get the shiver just thinking about it. You have a wildlife sanctuary in your backyard.

    Take care, hugs.
    Julia


    ReplyDelete
  4. So many fun Cape May rugs. Hopefully next year the teacher lineup will include some primitive teachers. Although I have only been a couple of times, I feel the same way about Cedar Lakes rug camp. A number of years ago, I had Cathy from Red Barn Rugs. I LOVED her...and have had her several times since. This year I was not that impressed with the teacher...and next year it is the same teachers so I will pass.
    Your deer rug is looking mahvelous...and soon we can find out what will be next on your frame. WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like seeing a snake close to the house either !!!! Hope he slithered far away !!!
    So many beautiful rugs you have hooked !!! When did you first begin hooking ? You are lucky to have been able to learn from such talented hookers ! Lots of fond memories for you !

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one incredibly prolific,,,and gifted...hooker. Too many favorites to pick just one or two...but I do admit I am partial to the 1847 turkey and the lions. What a great hat tip to the camp you're not at...and fun to "pull out" all the good memories you made at the ones you did attend. I would be happy to go to just one camp sometime.... ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.