Friday, September 9, 2022

Rug Hooker Names to Remember

I've acknowledged several prominent rug hookers on my blog in the past and I've another.  It's one thing to admire a rug but when you can identify the artist's name it is meaningful.  Like knowing the difference between a painting by Picasso or Van Gogh.  Or the difference between a Magdalena hooked rug and the rugs you will see below.                    

You've seen her rugs and her daughter's rugs before, no it's not Barbara Merry and her daughter Nancy Gertrude Scott, but someone else.  Will show you a couple rugs first then tell you their names.  

Below is a rug I saw over a year ago and the photo was poor but kept the image until finding out more info and a better photo.  It is a Black Cat hooked between 1918-1923 wool on burlap and measures 25.5 x 29.   I just love it.  Hmm wonder if that could be my next one???
Bet many if not all of you have seen the crisp and colorful Pig hooked with wool on linen measuring 37 x 54.5.  This one was  hooked 1950 so not in public domain.
Okay, so the signature at the bottom of that rug gives her name away.  It is hooked by Marguerite Zorach, her husband William was a famous painter and sculptor.

This hooked Nude and Flowers rug by Marguerite measures 29 x 49 and has been adapted by many rug hookers.  Can't recall the issue but remember seeing a version published in a RHM with a Nude Theme segment. 
Marguerite also hooked the Cat surrounded by birds shown below.  
While I love horses Marguerite's Wild Horses rug doesn't do it for me.  Think there were 3 horses I could identify as horses??  How many did you see?
Named Eden and hooked by Marguerite, this was hooked 1917 and measures 34 x 77.
Marguerite's talent didn't end with rug hooking.  She did this fabulous wool embroidery on silk titled Family, which measures 72 x 86.  Isn't this phenomenal?  I believe her husband did a painting with the same emotion portrayed thru his art form.
OKAY, now this one will hit a nerve with all of you and why you should try to remember these names.  This design below was named 
Tiger and  Leopard by the hooker.  However it is most known by today's rug hookers as Tumbling Cats.  It is the most replicated design outside of public domain and without permission and was hooked by Dahlov Ipcar who is the daughter of Marguerite and William Zorach.
So there you have what I hope is considered an entertaining and enlightening post.  At least you weren't bored with the replay of my two rugs back and forth.  Happy hooking.

Saundra
  GOD BLESS AMERICA


6 comments:

  1. If I were into hooking I don't think I could resist the black cat! I also see only three wild horses. It is rather busy, but the colors are delicious. I wonder if her work was influenced by that of her artist husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tumbling cats has been around since I started hooking over 20 years ago. My rug hooking teacher was hooking it at the time I took classes. While I can appreciate her rugs for the artistic ability the only one that appeals to me is the cat.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tumbling cats may have been around for a long time but it's my favorite of this show. I don't know but it might be there's a little bit of wild in me, lol...
    Thanks for the show.

    I'm still a bit under the weather but I'm still hanging in there.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! What a talented family ! Each rug is so different from the other ....and the embroidered piece is amazing ! This is like a Sauder Rug Show !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What incredible talent all in one family! Yes! Yes! Please do the black cat! I love it! (although it looks more like a black panther to me...guess that still qualifies as a cat LOL). And I do love the Tiger and the Leopard. Hmmm....my rock is more like a boulder...I must be the only (quasi) hooker who has never heard of the tumbling cats design. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very talented family! I have never seen the tiger and leopard rug before either. I dont get tired of looking at the rugs you work on for the record. You are an amazing hooker! Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.